Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   chenay bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/chenay-bay-170619/)

cmanes Mar 11th, 2002 06:35 AM

chenay bay

Ok. I just put a room at Chenay Bay on hold, came here to get info, and now I am scared. Are there really bugs in room??? Kitchen dirty?? Please help me out.

anon Mar 11th, 2002 09:18 AM

yes. Sheets and towels were also dirty, mirror in bathroom wa so smeared you couldn't see yourself. Plus the bugs etc...

jodi jelovich Mar 11th, 2002 03:39 PM

I stayed at Cheney Bay in June of 2000 and unless things have really improved I can't say really any nice things about it. Yes, there were bugs in the room. Milipedes. Lots of them. Now, granted, I have never stayed anywhere else on the island so maybe bugs are par for the course. I don't know. The rooms in general were pretty ratty. Looking back on it, we should have complained and maybe they would have upgraded us in some way. The nice things about it are few. They had alot of water sports equipment at our disposal. Sea kayaks, sea bikes, etc. And, it is very quiet and secluded. Hope this helps. Any more questions and I will be available to help.

chazz Mar 12th, 2002 04:40 AM

We used to stay in a relative's house on St. Croix and never saw many bugs - we were told the ubiquitous little lizards ate 'em.<BR><BR>Choosing a place to stay on St. Croix is tough unless you can afford the Buccaneer, which is by far the best. Otherwise I would look at the two places at Cane Bay, Divi Carina, and Carambola.<BR><BR>There are some hotels near the public housing project west of Christiansted but I don't like that area of the island. The downtown hotels are inexpensive but beach access is problematic.<BR><BR>

Joanne Mar 12th, 2002 04:49 AM

I stay in Christiansted at the Hotel Caravelle and don't see beach access as problematic. Okay, so I can't roll out of bed and onto the beach, it's just a five minute walk and ferry ride to the beautiful little beach on the small island (Protestant Cay) in the harbor. <BR><BR>Agree with Chazz that the Cane Bay Reef Club and The Waves at Cane Bay might be better choices than Chenay until someone posts a report that things have improved. Neither of these hotels have beaches either, but they are just a short walk to the really nice Cane Bay beach.

Anon Mar 12th, 2002 07:53 AM

Chenay was the only place we have stayed in STX that had any bugs.THose millipedes really make a cool noise when you stomp on them don't they?

anon Mar 15th, 2002 04:52 AM

We stayed at Chenay Bay a few years ago. Do not go there! It was the pits.<BR>We had mice in our room (they ate our vitamins) as well as bugs. The pool was dinky and the beach nonexistent. We were booked for a week but moved to the Carambola after two nights.

tony the tiger May 1st, 2002 06:09 PM

Anon does your whole life revolve around writing emails trashing Chenay Bay? You even reply to your own emails. How pathetic

Sandy May 2nd, 2002 05:26 AM

I heard recently that one of the major cruise ships will no longer stop in St. Croix because of crime, but I can't verify this. Might want to check with U.S. State Dept. Warnings.

anon May 2nd, 2002 08:46 AM

Here we go with STX bashing. These stories circulate about every island. If you are that worried, stay home. You can become a victim of crime anywhere if you are stupid,careless and don't display a few street smarts. Leave the jewelry at home, don't flash big wads of bucks, stay out of dark alleys and stay alert.

Kathryn Jun 17th, 2002 01:42 PM

I am leaving for St. Croix in 3 days and have already paid for a room at Chenay Bay. I am freaking out about the bugs and filth everyone is talking about!!! How recently have you folks been there?

Joanne Jun 18th, 2002 05:27 AM

Kathryn, you should plan that you are going to enjoy your stay at Chenay Bay and not enter with any preconceived notions. That said, I think you should also have an alternate plan or two in place mentally to ease your mind. If I were you I would have a list of numbers of alternate hotels that I could quickly look into if Chenay Bay is not what I'm looking for. St. Croix has so much to offer that it would be a shame to have a vacation there spoiled by a substandard hotel. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. I will e-mail you separately with a list of hotel websites for backup plans. ENJOY!

Kathryn Jun 26th, 2002 12:19 PM

I just got back from Chenay Bay yesterday (June 25, 2002), and I just want to let people know that we had a perfectly nice trip and enjoyed our stay there very much. I saw two small spiders in my room while I was there, and that's it. No, the kitchen was not spotless, but I've never been in a condo type situation where I've seen a spotless kitchen. We used paper towels, cups & napkins and plastic utensils anyway because we didn't want to wash dishes. The kitchen was by no means filthy. The sheets and towels were clean and we had maid service every day. The only things I could complain about were that the tub spigot didn't work (we took showers anyway) and the toilet was a bit loose on the floor. Also, take your own snorkeling equipment. They say they clorox it, but I never saw them do it and when we returned our gear it just went right back into the box. The pool was very clean and nice. We really enjoyed using the canoes, too. Oh, don't eat at the resort restaurant - it's overpriced. Drive down the road towards Christiansted about a mile and eat at Cheeseburger in America's Paridise. It was good and relatively inexpensive. We were shocked at how expensive it was to eat out on St. Croix. South Shore Cafe was great, but very over priced for a casual place. Harvey's was relatively inexpensive and very good. Also try Paradise Cafe for and Pizza Mare for good inexpensive food. So, unless the cottages vary wildly (we stayed in #32), Chenay Bay was a nice place and don't be frightened by the comments on this site.