Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cheapest Caribbean vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cheapest-caribbean-vacation-808147/)

runningtab Sep 28th, 2009 06:06 PM

Cheapest Caribbean vacation

Oh, how many years ago...mid-70s...Negril, Jamaica was the cheapest, downest, dirtiest and most enjoyable of winter vacations...with that edge of danger (that never manifested itself--on the contrary, kindness and rescue did). Sandals-ism has intruded since, and who knows what else. Does anyone know the state of Negril, or better yet, the current cheapest Caribbean break? Thanks and eyrie. RT

blamona Sep 29th, 2009 04:56 AM

I think the cheapest Caribbean break is Dominican Republic.

doug_stallings Sep 29th, 2009 04:57 AM

The cheapest Caribbean vacation is typically an all-inclusive beach resort in the Dominican Republic. Sort of the opposite of the Negril experience.

However, there are plenty of small inns right on the beach in Negril, and you certainly do not need to go the Sandals route. Plus, these are pretty cheap places.

KVR Sep 29th, 2009 06:30 AM

Actually, the cheapest Caribbean break is Cozumel, MX, and you don't have to worry about crime and saftey issues, like Jamaica. We went for our honeymoom to a small AI in 2000 for $1200. We just booked a nicer AI resort than what we had on our honeymoon, now 9 years later, for the same amount of time and got it for $1,300. Thanks to the ecomony and the swine flu bull.

We looked at Cancun, Playa, Mayan Riviera, and the DR (which I really have no desire to go there) and Mexico is still the cheapest destination right now. We are booked for Ocho Rios for our 10th wedding anniversary next year. We chose a Sandals only because we have comp air and with the sale they have going right now, we got the room for about the same price we would get at a luxuary Mexico AI resort. Besides, been to Mexico so many times, wanted something different for that trip.

We went to Negril in 2006 and stayed at the RIU, which is becoming more prevalant in Jamaica. It had to be the worst AI we've ever been to and we've been to many. Loved Negril though.

Another cheap beach vacation is Puerto Vallarta if you willing to stay in the Romantic Zone and/or the surrounding areas, but the beaches are not great there. lOve the atmosphere though.

virginia Sep 29th, 2009 03:04 PM

i don't think you'll find anyplace like negril was 20 years ago. most of the islands have been too americanized for that kind of vibe to exist.
jamiaca does still have some areas with 'the edge of danger' in the mtns - particularly in pot growing areas.
as blamona said domican republic is relatively inexpensive. however most accomodations are all inclusive.
perhaps to find what i think you may be looking, for you might look in mexico. specifically isla mujeras and around tulum. it's not really dangerous imho, but federales are around with big guns & make you think something could happen any time.

runningtab Sep 29th, 2009 04:18 PM

Thanks to all of you - really appreciate your insights and input. Next question, as we ponder scraping our pennies (nonexistent)together to "save" for a much-needed break -- best price by booking early(ish) or last-minute, and is Priceline a player? My partner has scored big there...btw Virginia, your isla mujeras comment about federales reminded me of a Cebu (Philippines) holiday in my days of yore--armed guards patrolling a beach is a pretty memorable juxtaposition. Thanks, all. rt

doug_stallings Sep 30th, 2009 05:14 AM

I have never thought of Priceline as a good source for vacation packages, though they have expanded their offerings in the past couple of years, so I could just be out of touch with the current reality. I did look at a package to travel to Canada a couple of years ago but never booked it, and the rates were pretty good for air plus hotel, and it wasn't opaque pricing, which I'd never choose (I would always want to specify my hotel and flight connections).

I really hadn't given much thought to Mexico, but given the travel patterns right now, I suspect it is a real bargain.

The Philippines might still offer the kind of beach holiday you like if you want to go that far. It's certainly cheap enough, and the beaches are infinitely better than almost anything in the Caribbean.

KVR Sep 30th, 2009 05:58 AM

With regards to booking, I agree I don't think Priceline is a good source. I've booked with Orbitz, Travelocity, and beachdestinations.com You can sign up on those websites and they will offer deals and promo codes. Also, many people use cheapcaribbean.com. I haven't becasue they don't cover my area. I've also used Funjet, but they have been more expensive than some of the others. I also have a TA I use for when I need to pay out a vacation on an extended period of time.

virginia Sep 30th, 2009 08:01 AM

cruises can be booked very early (9 mons or more ahead) using the cruise lines site or late (1-3 month ahead) using sites like vacationstogo.com vacationstogo also has resort deals on what they call their '90 day ticker'.
normally last min for resorts doesn't get you much, but this year with the bad economy the islands are suffering a lack of visitors. as such lots of deals are available. even using a particular resort's site right now often gets discount pricing. same for condos and villas if that interests you.
if you're willing to cook this can help cut the price of a trip. drinking at your villa/condo is cheaper as well. we do villas and cocktails on your own deck/beach/pool area is delightful!

have never used priceline so can't help you with that. but
i'd check several (hotwire, expedia, kayak) to make sure you find the best price.
also travel at thanksgiving, spring break and from dec 15 to april 15 is high season with much higher prices.
i don't care for ai's personally, but it is a way to know what you're going to spend before you leave home.

kvr - which ai on coz for $1300? freinds are looking for ai in that price range.

virginia Sep 30th, 2009 08:07 AM

i just remember tnt.com and gwv.com
they bundle air and resort. some of their trips are on charter flights. if they fly from your city they might be useful for you. friends used tnt and were completely happy.

KVR Sep 30th, 2009 08:18 AM

Virgina, we booked the El Cozumeleno oceanview room for 4 nights in December on Travelocity. If I lived closer to a major airport, like DFW or IAH, it would have been cheaper. I usually get stuck paying an extra $200 to get from MAF to a major airport. Been wanting to stay there for awhile as their rooms are HUGE and they are supposed to have the best beach snorkeling.

I got a $200 off promo code from Orbitz. We used them last year for Cancun.

runningtab Sep 30th, 2009 03:56 PM

Again, as a newcomer (though my partner's a veteran), I'm delighted by the community spirit here. Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. I'll follow up and post good or other results, unless we go more broke than we already are and can't go anywhere. rt

Anguillagirl Oct 1st, 2009 09:42 AM

Cruises are really your cheapest option right now. You can't beat them. They are the good cruise lines and they are about as cheap as it gets. I know, you have to like cruises, which I don't, but hey what they heck?

KVR Oct 1st, 2009 11:13 AM

Cruises are only cheap IF you don't drink alcohol or sodas, only eat in the offered dining rooms - no specialty dining or nonincluded items like the ice cream shop, pizza station, etc., don't buy any pictures or other ship merchandise and purchase excursions for the ports from a local vendor. Otherwise, your cruise ship bill can get really expensive. Been there, done that.

In addition, you need to like to eat with other passengers, enjoy crowds, salt water pools, standing in line for everything you want to see/do and limited time in port. Not fun in my book.

suze Oct 1st, 2009 01:19 PM

I'm going back to Negril next year, for the first time since the 70/80's. I'll let you know how it turns out.

As far as cheap, I go to Mexico for that.

Barthophile Oct 2nd, 2009 11:17 AM

Had to reply...I just came back from Las Vegas and paid $27 a night for a very adequate room in the Riviera. OK, it's not the Caribbean, but if you want an inexpensive get-away, it's really hard to beat! Nice and warm and plenty of sand if you go in the right season, too! Caribbean, I think Mexico is a great choice as stated above. Wish I could say the same thing about my beloved St. Barths...gearing up for some high-season euro VS dollar shock...

suze Oct 2nd, 2009 11:22 AM

I don't think you should right off Negril. It's not all Couples/Sandals. There's still budget options. My group is staying at Tensing Pen, up on the cliffs, which I realize is not a budget option, but most definitely not an AI resort either.

In Puerto Vallarta I can still get decent hotel rooms for $40/night. But I'm in Seattle so Mexico makes sense from out this way (or Hawaii) more than the Caribbean.

KVR Oct 2nd, 2009 01:56 PM

Yes you can get a good room rate in Vegas and some pretty good airfare deals, but the high cost of dining and gambling doesn't make it a cheap destination. We been several times, and stop going. We can find better deals at an AI in Mexico.

runningtab Oct 4th, 2009 04:01 PM

Again, thanks everyone. Suze, I'd love to see your Negril report. Cheers, rt