Notices

Charter of a yacht

Sep 16th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Charter of a yacht

Hi,

I am a new one over here and hello. I would like to ask you if any have an expierence with chartering of a yacht with family or friends in Caribbean area ?

I am looking for a 10-14 days exclusive motor yacht trip around caribbean with a captain on board.
What costs I should expect to have fair price. I want for sure have food included and other facilities.
I think 50-60 ft long yacht should be ok for 4 people.
What should I take care of about an oparator of a trip?

Regards
Sep 16th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Yacht Charter prices vary greatly depending on size of boat, time of year, how far you play to travel, where you plan to travel during your "cruise, how many amenities the boat has and the size of the crew. With a crewed charter usually all food/drink is usually included. Captain only charters usually cost less than multi-person crews. The number of crew depends on size and complexity of the boat you charter.

The internet is your friend. Google such topics as "Caribbean Power Boat Yacht Charters", "Yacht Charters in the Bahamas", "Chartering in the BVI's", etc. and you'll find tons of information.

Just so you know, a fully crewed (say captain, mate and/or cook/chef) charter in a 50' to 60' power boat will probably run you anywhere $20,000 to $40,000 per week (not including fuel surcharges) assuming you can find one that small - most "power boats" available for charter are larger (think 75' to 150' mega yachts) and start at around $75,000 to $100,000 per week and can run as much as $500,000/week. The longer the distance you want to travel the bigger the boat you'll need (more on that below).

If you charter a sailboat you'll find more reasonable prices with crewed (captain & mate/cook) charters starting at around $8,000 to $10,000 for something in the 40' to 45' range and around $20,000/week for something in 50' to 60' range.

The BVI's are the sailing capital of the Caribbean so there are literally hundreds of monohulls and catamarans available for charter. With a few minutes of internet searching you'll find hundreds of useful links that will answer all your questions and give you an idea of current charter prices. Google "Sailboat charters in the BVI's".

Lastly, you mentioned that you want to travel "around the Caribbean" - that's a tall order and something you really can't do in 10 to 14 days since the Caribbean covers 1,000+ square miles . Realistically you on a boat under 50' you probably DO NOT want to traverse very much open water. You'll want to stay in an area where there are a series of islands with a few miles of each other. Sailboats ravel at around 5 to 8 mph and a "day's sail" usually means only about 3 or 4 hours of actual sail time. A power boat might go 50% quicker. The USVI's/BVI's are a perfect place for chartering since there are upwards of a dozen islands within 20 or so miles of each other and you can sail in the relatively calm water between them without loosing sight of land. (FYI - If you've never sail before or if you are only a novice you DO NOT want to do any "open water" sailing as the trip can be very rough and uncomfortable. Same if you do that in a small power boat. For "open water crossing" you really need something much bigger than 50 footers.
Sep 16th, 2015, 06:46 AM

Oh, one more hint: Go to the BVI Forum on TravelTalkOnLine.com - there are lots of Sailboat Charter experts there who could help you.
Sep 17th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Check out The Moorings for power cat charters. They are out of Tortola, BVI

Search this Thread