Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Charter flights to Cuba (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/charter-flights-to-cuba-902129/)

Jess_t_p Aug 9th, 2011 04:22 PM

Charter flights to Cuba

Hi,

I am an Australian travelling to LAX in April 2012 and returning to Sydney in May 2012.

I would like to visit Cuba whilst I am in that part of the world and am hoping that someone can advise how I can get their by charter flight?

I have read a few articles saying it is now possible to fly from the US on a charter flight, but when I search I can't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

qwovadis Aug 10th, 2011 01:44 AM

cubajet.com out of Mexico City Cancun

also commercial flights forget charters they

are 2 expensive and sporadic.

CUN HAV usually cheapest cheapoair.com farecompare.com

might also check MEX HAV also...

both connect direct to/from LAX

doug_stallings Aug 10th, 2011 04:52 AM

I'm not sure you can just book a charter flight to Cuba from the U.S. (even if you are an Australian citizen). Now that several U.S. companies are offering tours, the seats are probably all booked up with their pre-reserved sections and with Cuban-American families.

What you can do (quite easily) is to travel from Canada, where there are regularly scheduled commercial flights, or from Jamaica or the Bahamas. Being an Australian citizen, you'll be able to go legally, though probably not from the U.S. itself. To be honest, it's going to be a rather expensive proposition for you unless you are planning to be in Montreal or Toronto anyway.

Jess_t_p Aug 10th, 2011 02:10 PM

Thanks for your responses.

I originally planned to go via Mexico City, but had been told you can now fly direct on a charter & they weren't that expensive!

Think I will go back to the original plan!

doug_stallings Aug 10th, 2011 05:43 PM

Given that the flight is less than 500 miles from Miami and costs over $400 round-trip, it seems expensive. I think it can be around the same price to fly from Toronto. It's worth it to check into the charter companies to see if you can book. Marazul Charters is the primary company. There are now flights from places other than Miami and New York, but those are the major gateways from the U.S. (I believe there may be a flight from Los Angeles.)

doug_stallings Aug 10th, 2011 05:43 PM

By the way, the number of flights from Mexico has really been cut back. It is probably not your best gateway anymore. I'd check into the Bahamas first.

Jess_t_p Aug 12th, 2011 04:22 PM

Cool thanks! To be honest 400 isn't that expensive as it will cost me about 400 return just to get to the next stop! Will check out my options anyway, thinking the Bahamas could be a nice stop over!!

Canuck_at_Canada_eh Aug 13th, 2011 04:12 PM

The ONLY people that can get on the Charter Flights from the USA to Cuba are those with an OFAC License or are flying with a group sanctioned by the US State Dept with an OFAC group license.

Either Cancun, Nassau or Canada are your best options.