Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help with Cayman Kai area/Cayman Sue maybe can help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Have been researching for our April trip to Cayman, spring break with our teens. We are thinking of a condo at the Kaibo Yacht Club. I am not finding too much info. It is a very small complex(that is good for us), and I really like the idea of Cecils, and the day time beach bar on site.
Would really appreciate any and all feedback about this property, and the quality of the beach. I know the beach will not be like 7MB, but I have to admit, as long as it is not rocky and alot of sea grass it would be okay. We really just play in the water, walk the beach, listen to the sound of the waves. The condos sound nice, not huge (about 1290sq. ft), but rather new.
Well, I have received so much help here at this site, I was hoping before I book it in the next week or two, I might gather any feedback, positive or negative! I truely appreciate any help, tips, comments,thanks, Carol
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:36 PM

Quite honestly the Kaibo condos are ideal for locals to use at the weekend for an overnight trip, but the location is not great, neither is the beach, and the condos are tiny.

An example of "you get what you pay for" perhaps ? (I know the rents can be inexpensive there)
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your response. Could you describe the beach a little better?
Also, the rate is only a little less than your 2bdr for the same time, square foot is 100 feet less than yours.
I am glad you giving straight forward feedback.
Too bad the Reef can't guaranty 7 nights in the same room.
Anyone else seen the beach or condos here?
Thank you very much,
Carol
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 12:41 PM

Hi Carol,
I have friends who own some units there, so I hope I don't step on any toes here! The condos are very nice, and plenty big for your family. My main problem is the beach there. It is not very wide, faces the North Sound, and is adjacent to the Kaibo Marina, so (IMHO) there is a slight fuel things going on. The Kaibo is a great spot for lunch. I don't think Cecil's will be open anytime soon, but Daniel has been serving dinner downstairs. Check out caymanvillas.com for some other options.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sue,
I can't thank you enough for being transparent. I think the condo is not the issue, the quietness is not the issue, but the beach could be an issue for us. Plus I did not know that Cecils is not open yet. I really do appeciate the help. I am back to research again, thank you.
carol
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:31 PM

Carol... I don't want to get into plugging.. but to answer your questions... square footage is in the eyes of the realtor... but to compare apples with apples (and include the patio/balcony), ours are 1900 sf.. somewhat more than 100sf larger

As to the 7 nts in a row in the same room thing... that is pretty much a thing of the past... incredibly rare now (and no guest complaints with our smooth transitions anyway)... and from next year we are making a policy to cease that in any case.

Right off to the annual staff appreciation party.. the walls on the building are shaking with the sound system out on the beach !
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Tom,
Enjoy your night!!
I compared the square footage from YOUR website(!!) to the one their website had. So, I really can't go by anything else but what is stated online.
I may email you directly regarding the room change, that could make a difference to me. It doesn't matter how "smooth" or easy anyone makes it, for me and my family, we unpack(and set up) and repack only one time per trip. To each their own on that one, but it is out for a room changes unless there is an unforseen problem with the room(broken pipe, broken a/c etc.) I hope you can respect my feelings on that one.
Back to my reasearch for the easter week trip....
Carol
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

opps, after re reading one of my posts, "guarantee" not "guaranty" silly me...
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:23 PM

Hey.. you are right on the square footage thing.. but a) we understated it rather than overstated it, as we like to exceed expectations (!), and b) that does not include your balcony... and most condos do include that.

Don't worry about the room move thing... it is a thing of the past
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Hi Carol,
We always stay in that area of Rum Point/ Cayman Kai. The condos we usually stay in, The Retreat, won't be open til next spring. I've done a ton of research and came up with a condo in that area for our trip next month. It might work for you and your family.

They are called the Gardens of Kai. They have 1-3 bedrooms and are on a nice stretch of beach. They are also very reasonable. If you would like to take a look at them it's emcoinc.com.
The Retreat would also be an option for you, IF they are open by then. Supposedly March 06 is what they are hoping for.

Sandy
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 05:23 AM

For Cayman Kai / Rum point, Cayman Kai has a website, as does The Retreat and Cayman Villas also have a lot of properties in that area..... contact them directly for availability.

I spoke to Robert from The Retreat about a week ago and he was indeed looking at March, but there are no guarantees on re-opening dates, so best also to have a Plan B
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Goodmorning Sandy and Tom,
Thanking you both again for the responses.
The Reef will be a consideration, without the room change. Would love to see the disclaimer removed from the homesite and at caymanvillas.com!!(More reassurance...)
Sandy-Have wrote down the info for a future reference when we would be without teens for the Gardens. They do look nice. Our list is long with wishes to make all happy, restaurant on site or walking distance next door is one of them. Seemed like it is more in a residendtial area. My kids will be almost 18 and 15 then. What a difficult balance it is for peace and quiet, and low key teen activities!! They were really happy at Cusinart this July, and really it was more adult orientated. There was a pool, restaurant/bar, great room and beach.We did have to stay in 2 rooms, this trip we want at least 2 bedroom condo setting. (Easter week and July rates are very different)
Anyway, You guys are the best help!! Its like having a couple really good trusted friends to call and rool around ideas with--thank you
Carol