Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caymans & Discovery Point (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caymans-and-discovery-point-327452/)

snort Jun 14th, 2003 07:04 PM

Caymans & Discovery Point

Has anyone stayed at Discovery Point and how was it. Going next month with wife and three kids. Also if anyone can give advice on where to buy groceries and plces to eat would be of great help. We are layed back and when on vacation the last thing I want to do is dress up.
Thanks for any help never been to this island.
TN

Sandy Jun 14th, 2003 08:35 PM

Hi snort,
I never stayed at Discovery Point, but I know the area, and it's on northern 7MB, gorgeous beach, and not crowded! All of those condos in that area are vey nice. I hope your getting a rental car, because staying on that part of 7MB, you'll need one. Plus the whole island is worth exploring. I would recommend driving to the north side, Rum Point area, and the east end of the island. It just gives you a different perspective of the island, and there's tons of great snorkeling all over the island right from the beach.

As far as groceries, after you get your car, stop at one of the grocery stores on your way to Discovery Point. Foster's is very good with good prices. I would recommend breakfast and lunch food to fix in the condo. It will save you a ton of money!! Also, if you drink, stop at one of the liquor stores and buy beer or alcohol to have at the condo. This will also save big $$$.

There are many good restaurants on GC, and most of them, you don't have to get dressed up. I'm like you, that's the last thing I want to do on vacation! Dinners out can be very expensive, but there are local places that have good prices. Champion House in Georgetown serves good (local) food at a good price. And there's fast food places for the kids also. We always buy steaks at the grocery store and grill on the beach a few times a week. Most of the condos have BBQ grills, and it's great grilling and watching the sun set!

Make sure you take the kids to the Stingray Sand Bar. You are in the water with the rays, and it's one of the must do's on GC. You go out by boat to the north sound and it's only 4 or 5 ft deep. It's quite an experience! There are several great tour guides, one I recommend is Captain Dexter with Fantasea tours. He only takes small groups of people, and he's very entertaining.

Hope this helps a little! If you have any more questions, please feel free. You'll love GC, it's a wonderfaul island!!
Sandy

PCircles Jun 15th, 2003 05:04 AM

Hi!

I have to say that all the props on 7 mile beach are not the same. You have to go on the part of the beach owned by your condo/hotel.

The following is just my opinion - someone please corect me if I am wrong.

We were going to stay at Discovery Point last year, but before making reservations, I asked them if their beach was sandy. Turns out it is full of rocks, which makes going into the water very tough. We finally stayed at a property down the beach, which had huge trees, hammocks and beautiful sand.

I brought back a map of the beach properties and marked the ones that did not have good beaches. Discovery POint was one of the undesirables.

Again, someone please correct me if this is wrong.

acummings Jun 23rd, 2003 08:55 AM

In response to "You have to go on the part of the beach owned by your condo/hotel."

This isn't completely correct. All beaches are public to the high water mark - so you can enjoy a variety of beaches, no matter where you stay. Now, the part close to the hotels are private, and you can't just sit in their chairs if you aren't a guest. There are numerous public access paths between the properties to get to the beach.

Kristen Jun 23rd, 2003 10:45 AM

PCircles...which condo did you end staying at?

clairelong Jun 23rd, 2003 12:16 PM

Sandy, could you email me at [email protected]. I would like to ask some questions on the island. Thank you-Claire Long

PCircles Jun 24th, 2003 04:17 AM

We stayed at Victoria House (www.VictoriaHouse.com).

As for the beaches being private, maybe we were confused, but there are ropes all along the beach that divide the beach by property. The signs along the ropes say that the access is only for guests. What you can do is walk up and down the beach, but I am not 100% sure that you can park yourself just anywhere(?).

acummings Jun 24th, 2003 07:01 AM

Yes - we saw the ropes (at the westin in particular), but they only go partway to the water. I think that where they stop is the high water mark (or that's my guess anyway). Between there and the water it's fair game.