Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cayman Snorkeling / Turtle Nest Inn vs. Sunshine Suites (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cayman-snorkeling-turtle-nest-inn-vs-sunshine-suites-112910/)

carol Mar 17th, 2001 12:05 PM

Cayman Snorkeling / Turtle Nest Inn vs. Sunshine Suites

Planning on going to the Caymans end of June? How is the weather during this time? In your opinion, what are the don't miss snorkel sites? I'm looking into Turtle Nest Inn or Sunshine Suites; concerned that Sunshine Suites is not on the beach. Also looking into Treasure Island. Opinions???

Kim Mar 19th, 2001 07:03 PM

We recently stayed at the Sunshine Suites. We didn't have any problem with being back from the beach. It is a short walk to the best stretch of Seven Mile Beach. We saw the Turtle Nest Inn. It is located in BoddenTown. Probably 10 or so miles from Georgetown. The Inn looks nice, but I am not sure what the beach was like. The area they are in has a lot of shallow water close to the shore with the reef out about 150 yds. We snorkelled between the Inn and the Edge restaurant, it was good snorkeling. We walked to Treasure Island. The beach is not man made. Pretty rough. There is good snorkelling right from Treasure Island. Seven Mile Beach has Snorkelling out from the Governor's House, close to Sunshine Suites, and in West Bay at Cemetary Reef. Definitely rent a car to travel from one snorkel site to another. Grand Cayman has 18 snorkel sites that they list, only 4 areas need a boat to get to, if you don't mind swimming a little. Depends what you are looking for. I have a husband who has to have a beach to walk for miles. Thats why we like the Seven Mile Beach area, but within 10 minutes with a car you can be at a snorkel area. Since you are not going until June, request the snorkelling guide at www.caymanislands.ky. This is a nice guide to have. Have a great time!

Anon Mar 20th, 2001 09:58 AM

<BR>No experience with Sunshine Suites, but it seems people are comfortable there. <BR> <BR>Things I liked about Treasure Island: steel pans in the lobby, nice pool, Hooks restaurant, nice sunset. Things I didn't like: it was in need of TLC (they've renovated since we stayed there), the afternoon sun gave me headaches bouncing off the water & sand, there were quiet a few kids. <BR> <BR>Things I liked about Turtle Nest: romantic, extremely clean, personal service, steps from the ocean, lovely sunrises & moonrises, only one child, the peace. Things I didn't like about Turtle Nest: traffic on the drive to SMB, being in a mostly residential area, sometimes a little too quiet depending on our mood. <BR> <BR>Snorkeling is not a major consideration in where to stay, IMHO. Unless you don't want to rent a car, of course. If you don't, stay along SMB & walk or taxi or grab a bus (if you can) to the many sites there & around Georgetown. <BR> <BR>Definitely do Stingray Sandbar combined with a snorkeling stop or two. It will be the highlight of your trip. Marvin or Dexter will pick you up at your hotel. Ask at the desk where you stay. Everybody knows them. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Anon Mar 20th, 2001 10:07 AM

<BR>Oh yes, it's normally hot in June. Pack lightweight clothes. Something simple but nice will do for dining out in the evenings. BTW, it's not "The Caymans". It's either Cayman, The Cayman Islands, or the name of the individual island (Grand Cayman, Little Cayman or Cayman Brac). They'll be polite about it but you will definitely be corrected. <BR> <BR> <BR>

jayne Mar 21st, 2001 06:14 AM

Stayed at Sunshine Suites in Jan 2001. It was right across from the Westin, probably the nicest section of SMB. It is fairly new, clean, comfortable, and the staff is friendly. They will supply you with beach towels and chairs. Walking across the street to the beach is no problem and you are within walking distance of lots of restaurants and stores. You can snorkel right in front of the Westin. Also, we took Sotos(not Bob Sotos) sting ray city tour for $15 CI ($19 US)which included a couple of snorkeling stops. It is a small tour compared to some of the huge tour groups we saw. Have fun!

erdoc Mar 27th, 2001 05:29 AM

I am an avid snorkler (but I don't scuba), so this was the critical factor for me, too. Having been extremely disappointed on other trips which don't allow you to snorkle alone and at will, the Cayman's are a snorkler's dream. I stayed at the Westin, and every day, I would snorkle...a very small but well-populated reef about 50 yards out with squid, flounder, parrot fish, barracuda, and even saw a little octopus! Next door was Treasure Island. Keeping in mind this was 3 years ago, at that time, they had a dismal, rocky beach, but this may have changed. <BR>"Don't miss" sites include Cemetary reef and Sting Ray City. I would recommend renting a jeep one day, start at the lower end of the island, and work your way up, stopping at the turtle farm, Cemetary reef, and you can end the day at the restaurant at the end of the road (look for the mini-lighthouse). It makes for a memorable day. <BR>Any other questions, email me. I am planning to return to the islands in May.

erdoc Mar 27th, 2001 05:48 AM

Just wanted to clear up a mistake: I stayed at the Marriot, not the Westin

Scott Mar 27th, 2001 08:59 AM

My wife & I stayed at Treasure Island last year for 10 days. The beach has plenty of sand above the water line for laying out, but the entry into the water is where it gets rocky. It may not be the best area to simply swim, but as long as you are careful getting in, the snorkeling right there was excellent. You had to swim out about 100 yds to get to the reef. The reef there was absolutely teaming with several types of fish of all shapes, sizes & colors. <BR> <BR>The resort itself was fine. It wasn't a 5 star resort, but the rooms were clean & comfortable. The pools were great(3 total) and the grounds were very nice with several waterfalls and tropical plants. If you want a pampering, posh, hold your hand resort, TI is not for you. The quality is the same as a Holiday Inn in the states...clean, comfortable place to stay. They also have all the watersports you need right on site with many stores and restaurants within walking distance. I do recommend however to rent a car to explore other snorkeling sites as there are many. <BR> <BR>What ever you do, don't worry about what others say about the rocky beach at TI, the snorkeling there is great, and you need only to walk a VERY short distance up the beach for a sandier entry. Great place for the money. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps

erdoc Mar 27th, 2001 04:51 PM

Just found out something else today...apparently recent storms wiped out half of the Marriot's beach, which is next to TI, so you might want to call the resort and ask how they were affected, as well.

pal Jun 26th, 2001 02:25 PM

My vote is Treasure Island. They are a very lively group and the beach is wonderful to walk out to. I would spend the $ and not stay at the sunshine suites. The beach is fantastic and even though those properites are really nice, I would opt for the beach.