Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cayman Islands - Sunshine Suites? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cayman-islands-sunshine-suites-265752/)

Lisa Oct 14th, 2002 06:17 AM

Cayman Islands - Sunshine Suites?

Hi there, looking for anyone who's stayed at the Sunshine Suites in GC - I am wondering how new they are, what the rooms are like and where on 7 mile beach they are situated, vis a vis the construction site for the new Ritz.<BR><BR>Thanks a lot!

Kathryn Oct 14th, 2002 08:53 AM

Hi!<BR><BR>I stayed there last March. It's nice place, rooms are clean, comp. b-fast everyday. It's directly across the street from the Westin, which is the best spot on 7-mile beach. Takes less than 1 minute to walk there. The Ritz construction will not affect your stay at the hotel or your time on the beach. The only time I was aware of it was when we walked to town. Sunshine Suites is not a posh hotel, but it's really nice and a comfortable place to stay. It's also way more affordable than the Westin.<BR><BR>I highly recommend the snorkeling trip recommended at the front desk. It's a smaller boat than the huge company that goes to the cruise ships and you get to do and see more.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.

Lisa Oct 14th, 2002 09:39 AM

Thank you Kathryn!<BR>I just hope that the area around the Westin is still good, even after Isidore/Lili... and the construction noise is also my main concern, given I'll be travelling w/ a 4 year old.

Dee Oct 14th, 2002 05:00 PM

Be sure to ask for a room on the north side of the building - that way any construction going on will not be a problem for you. If you are on the beach, go to the north and you will be away from any noise. Sunshine Suites is a great place - approx 2 and 1/2 years old. Rather nicely decorated - cheerful Caribbean colors and the breakfast is nice. Enjoy. I'll be there in another week.

Vicki Oct 23rd, 2002 12:48 PM

Hi Lisa,<BR><BR>

Vicki Oct 23rd, 2002 01:00 PM

Whoops! Hi Lisa, I live in Grand Cayman and have put up several people at the Sunshine Suites. It's a fairly new property (which is nice), the landscaping is pretty, and it's a stone's throw from a very nice piece of Seven Mile Beach without the price. Rooms are smallish but have kitchenettes (a Godsend when you're trying to save the odd buck.<BR><BR>You might want to check about where your room is. If memory serves, they have no lifts (elevators) there, so the top floor can be pretty daunting with multiple bags.<BR><BR>As far as the Ritz is concerned, you're a bit of a distance from it. I wouldn't worry too much.<BR><BR>I think you'll like Sunshine Suites. You can also sign food from Eats and Legends Bar & Restaurant to your room, well known for the best deal on a full American breakfast.<BR><BR>When you come down, look for my band EXIT - we play at Legends every Tuesday night.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Lisa Oct 23rd, 2002 01:50 PM

Thank you Vicki! I think I've seen some of your other posts here, they've been very helpful. Good to know about the lifts.<BR><BR>I will definitely look out for your band if I am there on Tuesday!