Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cayman Islands -least crowded. When? Places to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:17 AM
z
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We decided to visit for one week Grand Cayman and Little Cayman Islands. It is going to be our first visit to Caymans. The main reason for visiting is snorkeling, bird watching and warm weather. We are trying to avoid spring brakers and easter holiday visitors.
We could go either April 1-8 or April 22-29. Do you think one week is better than the other? Which one would you recommend?

I read hundreds of posts here and it seems that the only place fodorites stay is on 7 Mile Beach. Are there any nice accommodations right on a beach in less crowded area than along 7 Mile Beach? We would like to stay in a condo or resort that at least has a refrigerator in a room. Would like to spend no more than $US 250-270 per night.
Thanks
Zenka
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Try looking at www.caymanvacations.com

It will list a lot of the condos on 7MB. If you want to get away from the crowded areas, stay north. Discovery Point, or Aqua Bay might be close to your price range. Staying in the later half of April will get you a lower condo rate. You'll want to definitely rent a car so you can explore the island, and get to many different spots to snorkel.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
owa

Check out Turtle Nest Inn. We stayed there a few months ago and really liked it . Eight or nine rooms, immaculate, very nice owners, and has a full kitchen. It is quite a distance from 7 Mile Beach. Any questions about it, just ask. Owa

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Z,
Check out the Reef Resort on the east end of Grand Cayman. It's right on the beach, great snorkeling, and the studios come with everything you want and it's in your price range. It's away from the crowds of 7MB. You can find info on it at the site Scott gave you. I would do April 22-29 for alot better rates. After April 15th everything goes down.
Sandy
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Actually rates go down the week after Easter, not Apr 15th... so this year at The Reef rates drop on Apr 22nd.

Cayman Vacations gives you a wide variety of properties, but some properties will also offer packages that have some great value add ons that the booking agency sites are not set up to offer, so check individual websites too.

Re bird watching... if you have done your research you will have to stick with Little Cayman. Over 90% of avian life in Grand Cayman was wiped out by Hurricane Ivan... I was in JA last weekend and the sound of birds and even crickets at night seemed strange to me until I realised it was just unfamiliar.... but nature is strong, they will come back in time.