Casual Dress in Bermuda?

Search

Casual Dress in Bermuda?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casual Dress in Bermuda?

I am going to Bermuda on Thursday and am reading that casual dress if frowned upon. Anything less than a dress in Hamilton is unacceptable. I am a casual dressing woman, but I am not sloppy. Will I be looked at like I am a bum or what? I am concerned over this. Thanks for any info.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 04:40 AM
bosco

Dresses are not required in Bermuda. During the day, attire is typically casual for women: Bermuda shorts and t-shirt or collared shirt is fine. Dresses are only required in certain restaurants that require a dress code.

Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bosco.

I hear that men wear knee socks with shoes. What kind of shoes? I can't imagine my husband wearing knee socks and shoes. What about sneakers or sandals? Will he get away with those? Thanks again!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:37 AM

Ah-there is nothing as wonderful as the Bermuda men's work attire. Its usually a sport jacket-(mostly navy blue) shirt, tie, Bermda shorts, bermuda knee socks. As for the shoes its loafers, black shoes etc. Really very nice. Bermuda is not as formal as it use to be! Lots of casual dress day and night.
Hey, this is a cruise ship port. Yes sneakers, sandals are fine! Its a beautiful little island!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:08 AM

Mrs. Molly,
If Bermuda is anything like the British Virgin Islands, I did notice that women(including tourists) don't wear shorts, esp.to "town". They either wear casual skirts, capris or slacks, but no shorts. I did not see them on anyone. Hope this helps.
Suse
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:15 PM

Hi,

We just returned and casual is very acceptable.

For most dinners I wore capri's. Wore a dress one evening to the Waterloo House for dinner. Did see many in the "pub type" restaurants with nice bermuda shorts in the evenings.

shorts/tee shirts are fine in town during the day.

My husband wore slacks/shorts and a golf shirt most of the week.

Have a great time!

janet

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:38 PM
sp

Wow! Dresses in certain restaurants? I've been a repeat visitor to Bermuda for the last 15 years and I've never heard of that. I've always worn shorts and t-shirts during the day and my husband does the same. The collared shirt would probably be wise during the day if you went somewhere 'upscale' - the main thing is not to wear goofy tees like 'Superbowl Champs'. I guess we never had any problems because we only ate at inexpensive to moderately priced restaurants. I just got back from Bermuda and can't wait to return. Have a great time!