Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Castries or Soufriere? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/castries-or-soufriere-391574/)

travel_bug1 Jan 25th, 2004 04:08 PM

Castries or Soufriere?

I've read so many great postings about the Ladera Resort, Jalousie Resort & Anse Chastenet near Soufriere. But I've also heard that there is not much in the way of nightlife. I've also heard that Castries is more "touristy." Why pick Soufriere over Castries? And if Castries, any preferred hotels?

Lois Jan 26th, 2004 04:29 AM

We stayed at Ladera a few years ago. There is not much nightlife in that area at all. Picturesque seeing the Pitons -- that's about it in my opinion.

I think Castries has better beaches and has nicer resorts.

sailor Jan 26th, 2004 07:26 AM

This is my opinion of the two areas. I will add a third area that to me would be the more nightlife section of island and that is the Reduit
Beach/Gros Inlet/Rodney Bay area.

Castries is a port town where the large cruise ships and vessels dock. Pointe Serafphine is located here for duty free shopping. Typical tourist spot. The smaller airport is also located pretty much up against the shore. The main market is neat to see for a short time (locals selling fruits, vegetables, crafts, spices, etc.) There are a few popular restaurants also, Coal Pot, Froggie Jack's. I came away feeling Castries more of an industrial/main hub then your typical, beach resort area. It isn't a walk around town type area. It is large and gets very congested at times. The main resorts there on the Beach would be Sandals La Toc, Sandals Halcyon, Rendezvous. Sandals Halcyon and Sandals La Toc, where are least favorite beaches that we saw on the whole island. La Toc is known to be very rough at times and can be closed down much of the time. Sandals Halcyon was very narrow, dark golden brown sand with much to be desired with the clarity of water. Didn't feel like a beach in the Caribbean. I did like the beach at Rendezvous the best of the three for it was large, with palm trees on the beach. This resort is located right by the small airport.

Soufriere, is for the romantic, adventure traveler. It is a fishing village from days gone by. No signs of our culture seem to have hit here yet. This is intimidating to some though? Located on the edge of the rain forest, for hiking, biking, and bathing in thermal mineral baths. Lush, lush surroundings, from secluded, exotic dark sand beaches to the white sand beach at the Jalousie Hilton at the very base of the Petit Piton. Hot spots for some decent snorkeling and excellent diving right from shore in crystal clear waters. No great all-nighter nightspots, just many a nights serenaded by a steel pan band or maybe a Caribbean beach party, or listening to St.Lucias own night music from your private plunge pool as the sun sets over the Pitons.

Reduit Beach/Gros Inlet/Rodney Bay Area to me is your more typical beach resort area on the island. Great long stretch of beach, lined with resorts. Walk to restaurants/bars if you choose. Pretty views of the Harbor and Pigeon Island. This is a pretty area, it is just a little to typical and touristy for us to spend to much time there. Probably a bit more traditional and comfortable for the average tourist.

It's all in what kind of vacation your looking for?

Donna

viva Jan 26th, 2004 08:18 AM

I would also recommend the Rodney Bay, Pigeon Island area.
You can always do a daytrip on a catamaran to Soufriere and surroundings. (The roads are pretty rough).

Robrook Jan 26th, 2004 09:34 AM

I think it all comes down to personal preference. TO me, the physical beauty of the Pitons was the choice. I stayed at the Jalousie Hilton and I was very happy with my choice. I did day trips to the north part of the island, and that was good. Count on day trips to other parts of the island wherever you stay.

sailor Jan 26th, 2004 10:11 AM

Yes, To me also!

Going to St.Lucia and not staying right there in the middle of the rain forest and Pitons, would be like visiting the Grande Canyon and just taking a quick drive by from the distance?

You really can't appreciate the Pitons unless you get up close and personal.

Like they say in their ad, The Jalousie Hilton, the place you'd rather be!
or and Ladera and Anse Chastenet.

Donna