Notices

Cash in Jamaica

Jul 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Cash in Jamaica

Looks like we will need to bring a substantial amount of US cash with us (for food costs, tips, driver, etc. - gather these must be paid in cash, dollars preferred). Wonder how safe it is to leave cash in our villa? Do the major resorts have safes available? Can we trust the people who work at the villa (hoping we can!)? Must we bring small bills (a huge wad if we do)? Can we tip staff using 20s or 50s? Thanks.
Thanks.
Jul 18th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Hi Kate,

I had to bring cash with me as well. I also brought traveler's checks.

I never had a worry about the safety of either in the villa...the staff was more prone to locking rooms than I ever thought of being ;-)

The travelers checks were more problematic...some stores will take them, some won't. I was able to cash them for US currency at the local banks, but the lines are long.

Tipping the staff in 50's or 20's will be fine. But I would try to bring some smaller denominations for trips away from your villa.

Hope this helps.

Marion

Jul 18th, 2005, 07:43 PM

I guess it depends where you go in Jamaica. We were in Negril & brought very little cash. We used the ATM there & the rate wasn't bad. We used JA dollars for buying some things & US for the rest. We used our hotel room safe & had no problems.Small bills are better & if you buy things with US & get change it will be in Jamaican money.

Search this Thread