Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   carry on luggage/"personal" item questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/carry-on-luggage-personal-item-questions-788135/)

kitty1 Jun 4th, 2009 06:36 AM

carry on luggage/"personal" item questions

Hi, I am new to this forum (ie Fodors) ,
I am flying Delta, in 2 weeks, to go to Nassau.

Does anyone know what the allowed size of a tote bag is? I want to take more stuff than will fit into my carryon and my purse, so thought a "tote bag" might work instead of a purse. Do not want to have to check a bag.
I would appreciate any comments.

mah1980 Jun 4th, 2009 07:28 AM

I'm not sure, but that information should be on Delta's website.

seasweetie Jun 4th, 2009 08:21 AM

I take a carry on and a backpack on Delta all the time. The back pack is big but I can still fit it under the seat. As long as it doesn't look like you're carrying two suitcases, you should be fine. I can really imagine a tote bag that would be too big. On a recent Delta red-eye, they were incredibly strict about the 2 carry-on limit, insisting that my partner take off his waist pack and put it in his backpack, as it counted as a third carry-on item.

kitty1 Jun 4th, 2009 12:03 PM

Thanks seasweetie,
My tote bag measures 14 x 20 x 6 when spread empty on the floor. What do you think? I won't have it bulging, just put my purse in there and a couple books, my snorkel gear and some non-perishable food, (I guess the food could make it look bulky though). I am probably overthinking this, but don't know where I would put the stuff if they said I couldn't carry it on.

RoamsAround Jun 4th, 2009 12:05 PM

You should be OK with a standard size (21" or 22" roll-a-board) and a reasonalable size tote bag, however, no one on this forum can give you any guarantees since what constitutes a "personal size" item is often left to the whim of the Gate Agent or the Flight Attendant. They tend to be lenient if the flight is not full and more strict on full flights.

kitty1 Jun 4th, 2009 12:09 PM

I know, a lot depends upon luck, too. But, thanks and I am just looking for other peoples recent experiences.

seasweetie Jun 4th, 2009 12:42 PM

I'm leaving tomorrow and will have my backpack packed as usual. I'll measure it and tell you what it is. I've travelled the world with it and it's never been questioned.

DebitNM Jun 5th, 2009 02:49 PM

It will have to fit under the seat in front of you. If you are sitting aisle or window, that space is pretty small - the center seat actually has the most room for personal item.

If they deem it too big, they will gate check it and charge you to do so. Keep that in mind...
Deb

greenie Jun 5th, 2009 06:14 PM

Is it a direct flight? Why not check your bags?

Peace, Greenie

albee622 Jun 6th, 2009 05:59 AM

I definately agree that it depends on the flight, the day, the rules of that particular airline and the mood of the attendants.....I saw two women board the plane in Antigua each carrying a large purse (pocketbook), the biggest carry-on I have ever seen and another larger duffel bag. Obviously not dealing with checked luggage is best, but honestly just obey the rules and you should be fine. I travel with my carry-on (wheeled) and a large duffel or tote type bag.

Have a great vacation!
Albee

DebitNM Jun 6th, 2009 08:09 AM

I of course realized after my post above, that the OP had already gone on their trip.

As to the "why not check you bag" comment, it is because Delta as do most other carriers, except Southwest, charge you to check each bag while carry on's are free.

Deb

seasweetie Jun 7th, 2009 06:08 AM

Did Kitty already already go on her trip? I measured by backpack for this trip and it was 16 x16 x12. No worries!

kitty1 Jun 11th, 2009 06:43 AM

Thanks seasweetie for taking the trouble to measure your backpack :) We leave in a week and it sounds like the weather has finally cleared up in Nassau. I am not checking any bags because hubby cant stand to deal with it and we have a long layover in Atlanta :( Thanks again everyone!