Carribean, where to go: USVI, barbados, or BVI

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 07:01 PM
david

Carribean, where to go: USVI, barbados, or BVI

Help:

I am looking for a destination in the carribean for the first two weeks in december. I' going with my girlfriend and we would like nice beaches, snorkeling, wildlife, and possilbly some historical sites. Barbados vs. st.thomas/st.John vs. BVI. Cost is a consideration. $1000/ week per ferson for airfare, food accomodations would be preferable.

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 05:29 AM
Louis

I am most familiar with the BVI, like them better than the US islands and I have not been to Barbados. Budget is a limiting factor for all areas. Airfare will most likely make the Virgin Islands the first choice. A less costly destinations would be Culebra or Vieques off of Puerto Rico but it is not as nice as St. John or BVI. Based on our tastes and your budget I would recommend Frenchman's Cay for the first week on Tortola, BVI. The first two weeks of December is still in the fall season before the winter price increase. Their 1 week packages run between $1,199 and $1,399 depending on how long you want a car and how many meals you want. This is a very good value and one of the best you will find anywhere. I suggest you might spend a week on another island. Here you might consider a villa on St. John or if you want to stay in the BVI, you can consider the Cooper-Island Beach Club $1,480 a week including 2 meals for two people. You can find info on both at http://www.frenchmans.com and http://www.Cooper-Island.com.

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 11:09 AM
gorczynski

Try Star Villas on St. John. You don't need a car once you get there. You can take shuttles to beaches and views are fantastic. So is food - especially Lime Inn on Wed. night. Prices go up middle of Dec

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 10:11 AM
Debra

I would recommend Prospect Reef on Tortola, close to town so a car is not needed, except for a few days to explore the island. Don't miss a day trip to Jost Van Dyke. Also spend time in Virgin Gorda, also renting a car only for a day or two. As a whole, the BVI's weren't that expensive.

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 12:29 PM
Joel

David,
I have to agree with Louis in all respects. On the money side, however, the $1000 per week is possible in the BVI, but don't expect a villa or anything better than what you'd find at, say, Motel Six in the States. Consult bviwelcome.com and you'll find a few places. There are a few on Cane Garden Bay and I think that the Jolly Roger Inn and the Hotel Fort Burt (or something real close to that name) are in that price range as well. The clientele are apt to be American or Brit and twenty-something. If you choose a place on Cane Garden Bay you'll be in walking distance of a few well priced restaurants. If you can find one in Road Town, however, you'll be near lots of restaurants, but Road Town is not very pretty; it's more of a business town with some light industry than a vacation town.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 04:25 AM
Dave

Consider St Croix--it has all you say you are looking for---beaches, snorkeling, historic sites, uncrowded, etc. We go there a lot. Your budget is pretty tight, but even if you are set on those numbers it could be possible--weknow of some specials---Also, a condo mightwork, if you wanted to save money on food---e-mail for some specific ideas.

Old Sep 20th, 1998, 01:54 PM
Melody

My advice would be to purchase Fodor's book, Most Affordable carribean. We followed his advice to a tee when planning our trip to the BVI"s. We stayed for a week on Tortola and did day trips to St.John, Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda. It was very affordable following his tips and going thru the ferries he recommended. We stayed at the Ole Works Inn in Cane Garden Bay- It was about $800/week and we had a full kitchen and porch overlooking the water. We went in April. We rented a jeep from the only local company right at the Tortola airport - saved us about $150.00 over the other company's like Avis, Hertz, etc. Fodor even tells you which grocery store to go to. He was right on with his advice and the BVI's are incredibly beautiful, serene and safe.- Can't say the same for the USVI's. If you don't want to buy the book, e-mail me and I'll give you the phone Numbers out of mine. Happy planning. Melody