Caroni Bird Sanctuary Trinidad Tobago

Old Dec 13th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caroni Bird Sanctuary Trinidad Tobago

Cruising the Caribbean in December 2021, includes a stop at Port of Spain. The Caroni Bird Sanctuary is high on our list, but our ship is only there from 8 AM to 4 PM. The private tours I can find on the internet all depart approx 4 PM, because in the evening/late afternoon, huge flights of the red Ibis return to their nests for the night. I can find no tour company doing a midday tour. The ship's shore excursion goes from 10 to 1, which obviously misses the spectacular return of the red ibis. However, if this is the only way to see the park, and what it has to offer, well, I guess we'll take it.
Question 1. Without the huge flights of returning red ibis, will we see enough other things (birds, wildlife) to be worth it?
Question 2. Does anyone know of a private (non-ship) tour company that goes out in midday?
Thank you for any ideas.

Last edited by BillJ; Dec 13th, 2020 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Tagged to wrong island. Should be Trinidad Tobago
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 01:52 PM

Have you tried to contact Roger Neckles? If he isn't running tours to Caroni in that time frame he still might be worth contacting for a day's tour. And can probably answer your questions better than me. I know that he is THE top bird guide in T&T.

Either through Birding Pals ($10 membership) or

https://wildsidenaturetours.com/team...roger-neckles/
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, mlgb. Contacted the tour company through their web site, and my inquiry was referred to Roger, who answered in general. I asked if he was doing tours or could recommend anyone, and have not heard back, after a week. So, apparently he isn't.