Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Carimar- Anguilla (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/carimar-anguilla-336010/)

weimmom Jul 11th, 2003 11:39 AM

Carimar- Anguilla

We are leaving in a week for our first trip to Anguilla. We are going to stay at the Carimar and would love any input anyone has. We will be there for a tennis camp. I know there is no pool so I hope it will be ok. I have heard it is agood location.
Thanks for info.

travleis Jul 11th, 2003 12:56 PM

Great location on Meads Bay Beach.
Be sure to check out beaches at Cap Juluca, Cove Castles and Cuisinart if you have time. They're all different and worth a visit if you're a beach lover.

travleis Jul 11th, 2003 01:01 PM

I just read your comment about Aruba, weimmom.
I'm not a big Aruba fan either, but beware there are a few similarities between Aruba and Anguilla. The main one is the terrain and vegetation. Both islands are unattractive. I actually think Anguilla's interior is even more unattractive than Aruba's. But that's a non-issue for most since the beaches are the draw, and you won't likely spend any significant time looking at the scrubby interior.
Beaches on Anguilla are nicer than those on Aruba, but none as large as Palm Beach on Aruba.
Both islands have very low crime factors.
The best resorts on Anguilla are many, many times better than the best resorts on Aruba.
Have a great time.

SusanLynne Jul 11th, 2003 07:29 PM

We stayed at the Carimar for a week in October 2001 and loved it. It is on one of the most beautiful beaches on Anguilla - Meads Bay. We found the units to be very clean and comfortable. No AC but ceiling fans galore. You can arrange for a portable AC unit for the bedrooms if you find it necessary. The tennis courts are just across the road from the main facility and appeared to be in good shape. The kitchen units are fully stocked - you will not lack for a glass, silverware or any cooking utensil. There is no pool, but I can guarantee that you will not want one once you see Meads Bay. The water was as smooth as glass when we were there. There is a small grocery store you can walk to just up the road a bit. Also, one of the best BBQ places on the island is just across from the grocery store. Take time to rent a vehicle - which the front desk will arrange for you - and visit the rest of the island. Glorious beaches, wonderful locals and fantastic little market places all over. For a nice night of dining, go to Altamer - wonderful dining experience and unbelievable ambiance. Have a fantastic trip - wish I was going! :-d

HowardC Jul 12th, 2003 05:10 AM

I agree with the above post re Carimar. We always stay at Frangipani also on Meads Bay but have seen the Carimar property numerous times. Units 1 and 6 are beachfront and are the most desireable. You will definitely want a portable A/C which you have to rent. The closest grocery store is Christines which is up the hill past Malliouhana. (right past the third speed bump) Look for a sign C Fleming on the left. Would recommend driving there as you have to lug all your purchases back to Carimar with you. The BBQue place across the street does Que on Fri and Sat. You can get a Chicken or rib dinner for about $5
Carimar does not have a restaurant. The closest are Malli (Really expensive), Blanchards and Frangipani (Expensive) and CocoPlums which is probably your best bet for an inexpensive meal. All are within walking distance. About half way up the hill is Snappers. Open last Nov and we did not get to try it but getting good reviews. Locally owned and operated. Other relatively inexpensive restaurants in the area are E's Oven, Tasty's, and Flavours. Not a lot of atmosphere but very good food. Recommend a car to explore the island, go to the store and out to dinner. A car will run about $215/week plus $20 for an Anguilla drivers license.

weimmom Jul 12th, 2003 08:57 PM

SusanLynne,
Would you recommend a unit on the ground level or the second floor at the Carimar? We were not certain which would be better. Also do you recall if there are any laundry facilities on site? Thanks so much

SusanLynne Jul 13th, 2003 05:43 AM

Hi weimmom!!! We stayed in an upstairs unit and that worked well for us. If you are there for a tennis camp, I assume you are physically fit - so an upstairs unit would be fine for you. We got an upstairs unit only because I don't like to hear people walking overhead. The units seemed well constructed, however, so I am not sure that would be an issue there. I am sorry to say that I don't recall laundry facilities on the premises, although if you inquire I am sure they will tell you. If you end up having to hand wash some items, each unit does have a nice patio with lounge chairs, dining tables and chairs, etc. so you can dry things out that way. I would urge you to try and get a unit closest to the water ... it's worth the extra money! You will love Meads Bay. We've been to St. John, the USVI's, BVI's, Grand Cayman, Turks & Caicos alot of places, and Meads Bay is our favorite. If I can be of further assistance, feel free to give a shout.