Turks & Caicos for anniversary vacation?

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turks & Caicos for anniversary vacation?

My husband and I are narrowing down our options for our upcoming anniversary vacation in the beginning of May. We are looking for beautiful beaches, wonderful snorkeling, and relaxation (but not total boredom). We've only been to the Caribbean once before (staying on St John visiting St Thomas and Tortola) and loved it and are eager to go back. We also want a safe island that is easy to navigate around. Any advice would be appreciated.

Our search has lead us to the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, and Bermuda (based mostly on price for us to get there and stay a week).

Are the Turks & Caicos easy to get around? Where would you suggest staying? What should we do there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM

My husband, mother, 2yo son, and myself stayed at Aquamarine Beach Houses in Sept 2004 and it was a slice of heaven. We stayed in the Sunrise Villa on the balcony level. The villa was amazing and quite large with 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a large kitchen, dining room, and living room. They even had a booster seat and crib for my son. The pool was immaculate and the beach is gorgeous and the snorkeling is very close by. We went to T & C to scuba dive, but we thought the snorkeling was great too (lots of turtles, barracuda, lobster, etc). It is very private and the owners live on the property so they are always 2 minutes away. We shopped for groceries when we arrived and ate nearly every meal in the villa. We really want to make a return trip in the near future with a few other couples.

BTW, we also went to Bermuda in 2002. While the island was gorgeous and the beaches are incredible, it is a bit harder to get around because you are not able to rent a car (at least this was the case in 2002). We rented a scooter and made our way around the island that way. It was a great trip and we also dove there. In my opinion, the snorkeling was not as good as in T & C. I cannot recall the name of the hotel we stayed in, but it has since changed names. It was right next door to the Elbow Beach Hotel and was affiliated with the culinary school there. The beach was very private but quite small.

I hope this information helps.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM

For a special anniversary I would look into either Grace Bay Club or Sommerset on Provo. Both lovely. Go to www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the Turks and Caicos for lots of Provo info.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM

T&C is the easiest island to drive around.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM

TCI is very easy to drive around... we took our first trip last year and had no problems... it's not a very big island so getting around is simple.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM

It's very easy to get around in Provo, Turks & Caicos. We did an anniversary trip there recently.
Here's my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...5&tid=34879059
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I've pretty much have narrowed it down to the Turks and Caicos, but I need help convincing my husband. I'm going to start a new post w/ questions he has.