Caribbean weather for New Years

Jul 30th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Tim

Caribbean weather for New Years

Last year I was in Jamaica (Negril and Ocho) for New Years and had bad weather. Can anyone suggest a good island with great weather at that time of year (late December-early January)?

Jul 30th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Bonnie

We go away every year for New Years and have been very lucky with the weather. I would say the best was Aruba. We have also been to Nassau, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Curacao, St. Martin and a Caribbean cruise for New Years. This year we will be going to Barbados.

Jul 30th, 2002, 10:01 AM
xx

Was the weather nasty the entire time Tim, or just for part of your trip? We will be in Negril 12/28 - 1/5. Does anyone know what is the typical for that time of year in Jamaica??

Jul 30th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Diane

Tim, we go away at Xmas very often and I research the weather in particular for each trip. If you go to the Dominican Republic at Xmas for example, go only to Punta Cana because it's the driest part of the Dominican Republic (north coast is the wettest, followed by south coast, with the Punta Cana area being quite dry). If you go to Mexico at Xmas, go to the Pacific coast because it will be blazing hot with little rain. The caribbean side of Mexico at Christmas can be very unsettled (wet). We won't be going back to the Mayan Riviera at Xmas anymore because of this. Don't bother going to Cuba at Xmas either because they get similar weather to Florida (Cuba is only 70 miles off Florida's coast) and you probably already know that Florida can be beautiful or rainy (unsettled) at that time of year. I was unable to find specific weather information for the south coast of Cuba but I suspect it might be different than the more developed north coast because it's a different weather pattern (caribbean)...however, it might be similar to Mexico (unsettled). Anyway, you see my point. I do suspect the more southerly islands will generally be warmer but Punta Cana in the DR is usually warm at Xmas also (due to Puerto Rico "channelling" weather clouds and the nearby "mountains" off the Punta Cana coast). I recommend you find reliable websites for the islands you want and most also have links to weather information. Good luck.

Jul 31st, 2002, 01:22 AM
tivertonhouse

'Christmas breezes' (and some interimittent rains) are pretty commonplace in the Caribbean late November thru Christmas. It all depends this year on the effect of the incipient El Nino. The DR is similarly effected -- tho I wouldn't recommend Punta Cana or Aruba in the first place.
There are a few places at Christmas/New Year's where you can be reasonably assured of perfect tanning weather,but
they're further afield. Buzios, Olinda,Recife and Bahia in Brazil where it'll be the start of summer; Senegal and the Gambia in West Africa (best deals thru the UK.