Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caribbean vacation with 3 year old (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caribbean-vacation-with-3-year-old-790035/)

bmlindecamp Jun 14th, 2009 12:23 PM

Caribbean vacation with 3 year old

We are looking to take a vacation this Nov for about a week and a half to the Caribbean. We have a 3 year old who loves the beach and water and a husband that likes to drive and/or boat around to different areas. About 5 years ago we went to St Thomas and drove and boated around. We are looking for something similar but that has things for a toddler also.

emcash Jun 16th, 2009 06:54 AM

turks and caicos might be a good call for you. We just went with out three yo and the water was so calm and warm on the beach- she loved it (and she had been scared last yr in bermuda by the waves). I hear the diving on T&C is good as well.

bmlindecamp Aug 2nd, 2009 05:13 PM

Thanks for the reply! Would you feel safe at Turks and Caicos renting a car and driving around during the day with a 3 year old?

virginia Aug 3rd, 2009 01:55 AM

i would feel safer driving (day or night) with a 3 year old on provo than i would at home. car seats are an issue though. if you plan to fly with one you're all set. to my knowledge few rental companies have seats available but a couple do and there is rental service on island devoted to baby stuff.
boat rental available at leeward marina.
however st. t and provo could not be more different. st. t lush, hilly & very busy, fairly spread out. provo is flat & arid - no shopping to speak of, great dining options - most things are no more than 20 mins away.
there is nothing like grace bay beach on st. thomas. gbb is 11 miles of gorgeous white sand with sea water like sparkling tourquoise.
advise you look at some of the many condo style resorts. alexandra, royal west indies, the sands, etc. the sands has screened porches. or beaches resort if you're into an ai kid oriented hotel. all are directly on beach.

emcash Aug 3rd, 2009 03:57 AM

We were only in T&C a short time and didn't have a car. It seems like a pretty safe island though. I would bring your own carseat as virginia suggested. Let us know if you go!

bmlindecamp Aug 18th, 2009 05:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will try T&C and have it narrowed down between 2 rental by owners, one is beachfront at the Alexandria Resort and the other is Oceanfront Junior Suite at Ocean Club West. Do you know if one would be better than the other?

emcash Aug 18th, 2009 06:00 PM

if you post this question in a new topic under T&C Blamona, the Fodors T&C expert, will likely know.she's a wealth of info on the island.

virginia Aug 19th, 2009 07:29 AM

to see what blamona has already posted on these 2 - at top of this page click advanced search.
put alexandra (redo for ocean club west) into search terms box. caribbean for select a forum. then t&c in select a tag. leave the dates alone. then put blamona in member name box. each will give you a couple threads to read w/useful info.

alex is fairly new. ocw is one of original island resorts.

and not to mess with your plans but the sands has screened porches - useful when traveling with little ones.

Mat Aug 19th, 2010 09:04 AM

We went to Beaches with twin 2 year olds on recommendation from another parent of twin 2 year olds. It was absolutely wonderful. It is an all-inclusive, not sure that is what you are looking for, but does have a kids club/day care, PLENTY of diversity with restaurants, good food (and I am very picky, a bit of a foodie), great staff, a water park, Sesame Street shows and characters - but all of this with enough "adult" things to do and a good segregation from kids areas (if that is what you want). Pricey perhaps, but very worth it. I suggest staying in the French or Italian villages. Departure from the resort is chaotic, but that is the only negative I could really find.

Caribheart Aug 31st, 2010 05:21 PM

I feel like an outcase not having been to T&C but...we have travelled with our first son at ages 11 months and on each year...he is 6. We recently took our newborn son as well to Grenada.
St.Kitts and Nevis 2x
Jamaica
Barbados
St.Martin

Really 3 is a brilliant age for Caribbean travel because unless you LIVE in the Caribbean the whole thing is a huge adventuer for them. The monkey's, beach, pool, sea....and in that it is easy to amuse them without having to do the kids clubs etc....at 3 we took our son all over St.Kitts even to very grown up places such as Kate Spencer's gallery, Golden Lemon - didn't matter he thought the whole thing was the best thing ever - little lizards...boats....moutains...brilliant!!

Have fun....as an aside my favorite islands were / are Grenada and St.Kitts...my 11 week old found a reason to start using his little legs when the sea water first washed up over his little toes!