10 pm arrival St. Maarten

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a scheduled arrival time of 10pm next week and are staying at the Westin Dawn Beach. Any input on getting to the hotel from the airport? Is a taxi the best means...any idea of the fare for that trip? First time to St. M -- (where we will only be for the night; sailing on a Star Clipper the next afternoon) -- so wiuld appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:42 PM

Check with your hotel for a recommendation. They may even have a shuttle.

If not, this gentleman might be able to pick you up. I would certainly ask before calling a random taxi. We used him for a tour and he is very, very nice and prompt. His name is Wilfred Brooks, [email protected]
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 02:31 AM

I doubt that the Hotel offers shuttle service (but it doesn't hurt to ask). Taking a taxi will be your best bet (there will be plenty waiting as you exit the airport. Fare should run you around $30US for 2 people, if 3 to 5 passengers you'll pay a per person rate of about $12US, if 6 or more passengers the per person rate will be about $10US.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Roams around -thanks for the taxi info. It seemed like, with a plane disgorging at that hour, taxis should be plentiful. But i wanted to get an idea.

Sassafras: since we have only the one day, before boarding in late aft, in St. M, I'd wondered abt hiring someone to give us an overview. Can you tell me more about your Mr. Brooks and what sort of tour you did?
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 05:33 AM

Oh, I knew you probably would not be taking a tour. I meant to use him as a taxi from the airport.

He is an older (senior) local gentleman. Actually, I think he is mostly a hired driver, but someone on cruise critic had recommended him. On impulse, I emailed him from our cruise ship the night before we arrived in St Maarten and asked if he would take us around a bit and take us to a beach good for small children. He picked us up promptly at the port, showed us a few things, took us to the airport to see a large plane land, then to a small, shallow beach with one restaurant with a bathroom and changing room. There were only two other families at the beach. I was nervous about getting back on time, but he picked us up at exactly the time he said, showed us a little more of the island, then to the port about an hour before boarding time. He was courteous and knowledgeable and did exactly what I asked. He carried a little broom to sweep the sand off our feet to keep his car clean. He had a license posted.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Sassafras: Sounds great! I will e-m him to see if he can give usa 'show-around of St. M highlights...'

Thanks for the rec.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Checking back in, post-trip. We did connect with Mr. Brooks, who was mentioned in the first response here (same email as listed). He was a very prompt, personable gentleman, spent his life on SM; he picked us up at the Westin and gave us a three-and-a-half-hour drive around the island. ($40/hour),, then then dropped us back at the ship terminal. Don't know if it's a regret or not, but his schedule (needing to make an airport pickup in the afternoon) precluded any real look at Philipsburg. (We were travelling fairly uninformed; I'm sure if we'd had any must-sees, they would have been accommodated)
Highly recommend his services.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 05:45 PM

Tuckerdc, it is so nice of you to come back with a report and I am glad things worked out with Mr. Brooks.