Caribbean trip in Jan 2009

Dec 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Caribbean trip in Jan 2009

We're looking to make a trip in the third week of January to the caribbean. It will be 2 families of 4 (all kids are under the age of 4). We're looking for the following in a destination:
-Safe
-Family friendly
-Calm, clear waters
-Direct flights from Atlanta and NYC
-Kitchen in room or a house
Any suggestions? We were thinking of Turks and Caicos or Cayman Islands. We've been to Cayman and the other family has been to Turks. I was wondering if we should go for a villa/house or try for a hotel with kitchen? Any help is appreciated-thanks!
Dec 8th, 2008, 03:16 AM

I think T & C can be a bit cool in January as it's not as far South as other islands. Have you considered Aruba? Great family destination and clean, safe, plenty warm. We stayed at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, which is a full service resort with condo accommodations, kids club, activities etc. and you have access to the amenities of all three Marriotts -- Marriott Aruba Ocean Club is also condos. There are also other condo resorts right on the beach. Aruba is a bit more Americanized than other islands but sometimes that helps with little kids as there are even a few fast food outlets. We went when my kids were 7 and 12 and they loved it.
Dec 8th, 2008, 04:48 AM

you might consider st. thomas or st. john.
on st. thomas look at www.secretharbourvi.com
st. john has tons of villas.
Dec 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM

I agree with eileen, that T&C might be a bit chilly in January. Grand Cayman fits all of your needs. I'm unsure of the direct flights from ATL & NYC, but the flights would be easy even with one stop...this will of course depend on what airline you use.

Cayman is very safe, the water is as clear as it gets, and there is a huge selection of condos that will accomodate your family needs. Although January the rates will be high, you should be able to find something. Check out: www.caymanvacations.com for a great list of condos along 7MB. It will list everything from prices to location on the beach, and how the swimming & snorkeling is for each.

Dec 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Regardless of which island you choose (and I would also say avoid the T&C because of water temps), definitely rent a villa. You'll save a lot. See where Delta flies nonstop, and use that information to make your choice. Grand Cayman would be fine, though it's fairly expensive. You can have a safe and enjoyable stay on every island in the Caribbean, including Jamaica.

Villas are a relative bargain in the Dominican Republic, especially on the north shore.
Dec 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM

I recommend St Lucia. There are some beautiful villas to rent and the island is filled with activities like snorkeling, waterfalls, hiking, ATV adventures, zip lining, bird watching,wind sailing. Coconut Bay in the south has a property that is split between adults and children with lots to do for the kids.
Dec 9th, 2008, 08:14 AM
cdw

You should consider Anguilla. It is like T & C but the water will be warmer. It has some of the whitest sand and bluest water of all the islands. Also, you could take turns babysitting and do a day trip via ferry to either St. Martin or St. Barts. We stayed at Ku` and loved it. If you get a beach front unit, you are just a few steps from the waters edge!
Dec 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Why not go back to Cayman, we seem to tick all the boxes for you, plus there are lots of options for houses/condos with kitchens all over the island
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM

We have been to Club Med Punta Cana 3 times. It is a great place to take children, easy flight and close to the airport. All 3 times we went Jan/Feb time the weather was perfect!! You are sure to have a great trip and your children will love it!!
Dec 16th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input! Do you all know if there will be a significant difference in water temperature between T&C and Cayman in Jan?
Dec 16th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Yes, there will be a substantial difference in water temperatures. The Cayman Islands are in the Caribbean, while the Turks & Caicos are not. They are in the Atlantic Ocean and have water temperatures a degree or two higher than Miami or Key West. If you like to go in the water in Florida in January, then you will think the water temps in the T&C are ok; if you are used to Caribbean-warm water, you will be disappointed.
Dec 16th, 2008, 07:40 AM

To say "T&C could be cool in January" depends where you are coming from...Avg. Air Temp. January- 75-78, Avg. water temp 75-77 in January. I'd take that temp. any January over the VERY crowded Caymans with their Burger Kings and 7-11 stores...no thanks, Turks is better in many ways!!!!