Caribbean or Costa Rica?

Nov 15th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Caribbean or Costa Rica?

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those of you for answering all my other questions re: our upcoming (I think) trip to St. Thomas (Marriott stay) for 12 nights.

I have to purchase our FF tix in just a few hours... so for peace of mind, please tell me why our family of 4 (kids 16 and 12) should be going to the Caribbean (1st time visitors, with the exception of a cruise stop on Grand Cayman), instead of Costa Rica.

We also have FF availability for Costa Rica (mid to late June). We would, again, be staying at the Marriott if we went to CR (Los Suenos).

Thanks for helping me over this last hurdle before booking!

Carole
Nov 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM

I have been to St. Thomas and all the Virgin Islands, I have also stayed at Marriott Los Suenos in CR.
I would go back to St. Thomas in a heartbeat-just to hop around and go to St. John, Virgin Gorda, and Jost Van Dyke. The scenery is stunning, shopping is great, snorkeling is great, and Island hopping the best. Make sure you get passports-you'll need them for the day trips. Those day trips are not to be missed.
Los Suenos is a beautiful resort. But it's on a horrible beach, and stuck in the middle of nowhere. You have to travel to do the fun stuff-zip lines, and searching for animals in Manuel Antonio. The town closest to Los Suenos is Jaco, basically a backpackers surfing town. And June is rainy season-let me tell you it can rain! When the sun comes out, brutally hot in June.
Nov 15th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

blamona - OK... that sounds good enough for me! Just wanted a last minute, are we doing the correct thing, vote of confidence.

And thanks for the reminder... we do all have passports, however, which we needed for our Europe trip this past summer.

I'm off to call the airlines!

Thanks.

Carole
Nov 15th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Oh, blamona - I forgot to mention....

Our main reason for the trip is so that DH and DD can go scuba diving (while DS and I snorkel)!

I have heard there is good diving in Costa Rica too, although I have no idea where, in proximity to Los Suenos / Jaco. I guess I will save that research for our next trip.

Thanks again.

Carole
Nov 16th, 2006, 02:45 AM

For scuba/snorkel Virgin Islands beats Costa Rica any day! Doesn't even compare.
Nov 17th, 2006, 07:36 AM

I know you already have booked your flight, but I would mention the reason to pick the Caribbean is the water. Beautiful warm crystal clear waters with snorkeling (or diving) right from the beach.

Are you staying at the Marriott's Frenchman's Reef? There is a nice little coral patch with some decent snorkeling right off the beach. If standing on the beach, it is to your right. Have snorkeled several islands and it was the first time I saw a school of squid.

Note about Marriott's Frenchman's Reef, use some caution about which room you get. The Marriott has various sections. Unless they have remodeled, the rooms in one section are not very good.

We stayed in the MorningStar rooms which are right on the beach - they are gorgeous. Was there for a convention 2 years ago -- most people in our group who stayed on the hillside were happy with their rooms. However, people staying in another section had nothing but bad things to say about the section they stayed in on the hillside. Sorry, I cannot remember which section the bad rooms were in.

Nov 17th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LvSun - yes, we are staying at the Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Marriott Resort. I have requested the Morning Star side (hubby is a Platinum Marriott client so I'm sure we'll be placed there).

We will be on St. Thomnas for 9-10 nights, and then we're off to San Juan, PR for the other 2-3 nights at the Marriott there.

We will look for your school of squid... thanks for the tip!

Carole