Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Caribbean options for Sept 14? Turks trip cancelled due to Ike.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Boy friend and I had a trip planned for this next sunday to Turks and Caicos for 8 days but due to Ike it looks like I need a plan B. I want beautiful beaches and decent weather for next week, any ideas? Looking for good restaurants, good resorts and great beaches. Not really into sightseeing or shopping.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Have you been to St. John?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I've never been to the Caribbean Isles.. I usually end up going to Cozumel, Cancun, Cabo or Spain for beach vacations. Many of the posts say St Johns is great, do they have clear beaches like Turks? I am not big on snorkling or diving but love clear & calm waters and soft sand. I just want a relaxing, laid back vacation. Do you know if the "showers" are all day or just small drizzle and then sunny?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Check out T&C TV on web at http://www.mogulus.com/wiv4
Looks like Provo came through in pretty good shape. Not so with Grand Turk - is very very sad. At present they are showing a streaming video of GT. There is also a chat going on - some people at Provo on there and may be able to answer some questions you may have.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:36 PM

You may also want to check out http://www.wunderground.com/ and http://stormcarib.com/ to check to make sure no other storms are coming soon.

Also on http://stormcarib.com/ click on the islands listed on the right - people on the islands report on what is happening and what is expected.

This time of year, usually Aruba is about your safest bet for good weather.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links, very helpful. Looks like most of the forecasts are for storms and showers next week so I may need to reconsider and maybe try European beaches. I hate that its so rushed and I haven't done any research and I have to leave in like 5 days
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:40 AM

Caribbean should be fine at your travel time; there are no trpoical disturbances brewing in the Atlantic. w/o a storm, the rain will usually come in brief showers. If you liked the idea of T&C, the closest to that feeling and beaches is probably Anguilla. St. John is wonderful, with the beaches being small but lovely. Only resort on a good beach is Caneel Bay. It is pricey, West Indies upscale casual, with 171 rooms scattered on 170 acres, and seven tree-shaded white sand beaches with wade-in snorkeling. In the National Park, so no development to be seen anywhere. Very romantic. Take a look at their video on www.caneelbay.com As beautiful as that is, it doesn't begin to do justice to the place.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:34 AM

i would phone your resort today. ask them if they will be in full order. the airport is already open for commercial planes. provo was really not badly damaged. some trees down and temp power losses, minor flooding in the streets. i'm certain they will have ppl cleaning the beach of kai and ass't debris by today. sand will be cleared out of places it should not be (pools) by the weekend....
as well "the belongers" are kind and delightful people. they rely on tourism to survive. they will be very appreciative that you have come to their island at this time.

an alternative, although no less likely to get weather is grand cayman, which is a lot like provo. busier but has gorgeous long - 7 mile beach with several nice resorts - westin, hyatt regency, marriott & a ritz. much more quiet on the east end of the island is the reef resort with condo style rms.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Try Anguilla, Grand Cayman, Bermuda, or Aruba.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

I called the resort in Provo they said they believe they will reopen on Saturday which sounded a little risky since I am suppossed to arrive on Sunday. The forecasts look bad as well since they are forecasting thunder storms all of next week. Where ever I decide to end up going I'll try to post a report. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Isn't Aruba out of the hurrican path and fairly consistently dry?

You should be safe there.

Trish
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Looks like September is their storm month in Aruba...

http://aruba-guide.info/weather/september/

Curacao according the the guide receives least rainfall in September typically.

Good luck.

Trish
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Aruba - they are out of the Hurrican path, the beaches are beautiful, water calm, people are very friendly and they have some of the best resturants I have ever eaten at. Sept is their stormy season, but rain for them is about 5 minutes long and most of the time the sun is still shining. Check out this website www.aruba-bb.com, these folks are people that go there every year and can give you tons of advise. I booked a 11 day honeymoon just off their advice and suggestions.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 04:49 AM

The forecast for the Caribbean willa always show thunderstorms between June and November, almost every day. That doesn't mean that it's going to rain all day long, though, and the storms are often local, heavy, and short. Right now, there do seem to be a lot of disturbances in the area, so it might be more substantial than just an occasional thunderstorm.

But you certainly won't be happy with European beaches if you are looking forward to the Turks & Caicos. I'd second Aruba.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM

You might try some of these websites in the Bahamas. I just spoke to the Consul General of the Bahamas tonight in NY and he said that there was very little damge to Nassau and basically none to most of the outislands.

Try these sites:
www.runwayhill.com
www.eleu.net
www.briland.com
www.coralsands.com
www.islandoutpost.com
www.myharbourisland.com
www.romorabay.com

These sites will take you to Eleuthera and Harbour Island (which is one of the top destinations in the world, and one of the 10 best beaches in the world).

I usually stay at Runaway Hill, but have not been able to get down for a few years, and the resort was completely redone not long ago.

Hope these help.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Well I finally made up my mind, we are flying to St Thomas... I haven't made any hotel reservations yet but I did leave a few messages for some villas I found on the web. I'm sure everything will turn out OK otherwise I may be sleeping on the beach somewhere (knock on wood) : )
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Well, it looks like you have already made other plans but will go ahead and send this .

Check out Hollywood Beach Resort in North Caicos. They had no damage from what I understand.