Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caribbean Honeymoon: Where to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caribbean-honeymoon-where-to-go-558402/)

rbs1175 Sep 14th, 2005 06:55 AM

Caribbean Honeymoon: Where to go?

We are planning our honeymoon for Oct. 2006. We are aware that this is hurricane season. We thought about HI but want to stay in the Caribbean. We are torn between Cap Juluca, Peter Island, Grace Bay Club, Sandy Lane, Caneel Bay or Parrot Cay just to name a few. We got engaged in Antigua so we'd prefer to go someplace new for our honeymoon. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Robyn

xkenx Sep 14th, 2005 09:11 AM

Since you've mentioned Sandy Lane, Barbados is much less likely to be struck by a hurricane than places further north. And Barbados is a wonderful island. If Sandy Lane prices blow you away, check out Coral Reef Club; less ostentatious, but special in a more casual way. Someone once commented that many people with $$$ go to Sandy Lane to be seen, others go to Coral Reef to NOT be seen. BTW, Caneel Bay, as wonderful as it is, is VERY casual, the exact opposite ambiance from Sandy Lane.

OT Sep 14th, 2005 10:34 AM

Cap Juluca is closed during the month of October.

blamona Sep 14th, 2005 10:40 AM

I vote Parrot Cay.

rbs1175 Sep 14th, 2005 10:44 AM

thank you for your responses...if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. I was a bit disappointed to read that Cap Juluca is closed during the month of October but I know there are many places to consider.

lauren27 Sep 14th, 2005 12:55 PM

We are going to Peter Island and St. John in about a month for our honeymoon. We're not staying at Caneel, but a private villa instead on St. John. I'll post a review when we get back! I can't wait!

rbs1175 Sep 14th, 2005 01:03 PM

anyone been to Little Dix Bay?

blamona Sep 14th, 2005 02:40 PM

rbs: I've been thru all of them, nor spent the nights, but used the restaurants, seen the rooms, etc. They are all great choices, so please give us more of your tastes, that can help us help you. ex: mountain with hiking, lush rainfalls, or flat dry. Is it all about the beach? Do you need a TV or A/C? Do you like to island hop or stay put. Want shopping, or quiet time. Do you want the best beach, or an all around kind of island? some of your choices are very different from each other, so tell us more about likes and dislikes.

tess53 Sep 14th, 2005 02:54 PM

rbs....agree w/blamona..if you'll give more info on what the two of you are interested in we may be more helpfull w/suggestions.

rbs1175 Sep 14th, 2005 02:56 PM

We were in Antigua this past July and loved it. The beaches were beautiful and the food was amazing. I think I had lobster every night. Beautiful water and beaches are very important to us as is great food. We are a very active couple so hiking would be a great option and/or a good fitness center. We are looking for luxury in rooms and service but think Parrot Cay might be too quiet for us. Island hopping is an option if by ferry, I would prefer not to take a small plane. Overall we'd like to have options in addition to relaxing on the beach. Coulples only. And finally AC is VERY important! Let me know if that helps. Thanks,Rbs

xkenx Sep 14th, 2005 03:03 PM

IMO Caneel Bay blows away Little Dix. LDB has its rooms just behind one beach. Behind the rooms the grounds are ordinary. At Caneel, the rooms are scattered around 170 acres and SEVEN beaches. One of the most romantic settings anywhere. The grounds are so spread out, you can nearly get lost, and there are views of sea, coves, beaches,other islands from everywhere.