Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caribbean Honeymoon Destination for Early October (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caribbean-honeymoon-destination-for-early-october-985252/)

Flappergirl85 Jul 15th, 2013 08:21 PM

Caribbean Honeymoon Destination for Early October

Hi All.
I’m planning an October Honeymoon in the Caribbean and am looking for suggestions for a romantic island with a fun nightlife, yet not too touristy, great beaches that are not too crowded, towns to explore and a luxury resort, adults only if possible. Would love to snorkel and swim with sting rays or dolphins too. We’re considering St. John, Turks and Caicos, and St. Lucia, but we’ve never been to the Caribbean so any suggestions or advice would be awesome. Thanks!

RoamsAround Jul 16th, 2013 04:47 AM

First off, October is "Low Season in the Caribbean so you won't find crowds anywhere (unless you go to a "city" destination like San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Second, because it's "Low Season" you might find some resorts will be closed so that may limit your hotel choices.

Third, because you are traveling when schools are in session you won't run into many (if any) families, especially if you stay at high end luxury resorts so that's not an issue you need to worry about.

St. John, offers almost everything you are seeking except night life will be somewhat quiet and there's no swimming with dolphins/sting rays. The island does offer access to some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. Check out Little Dix Bay Resort - it's the best resort on the island.

There are plenty of luxury resorts and "condo-resort" on Providenciales in the T&C's. You'll find some fantastic long white sand beaches and some very good snorkeling sites but no swimming with dolphins or sting rays and not too much night life.

Depending on your "definition" St. Lucia may not have the "great beaches" you are seeking and there's not a great deal of snorkeling (but what there is, is quite good). Like the other islands on your list there's no swimming with dolphins or sting rays. As for luxury resorts look at Anse Chastinet or Ladera.

If you really want to swim with sting rays consider going to Grand Cayman - it ticks all the boxes on your wish list. For luxury resorts look at Caribbean Club, the ritz Carlton or perhaps the Marriott Grand.

Lastly, you will be traveling in the peak of "Hurricane Season" so consider purchasing "Trip Interruption" insurance in the event you have to alter your plans due to a storm.

sharona Jul 16th, 2013 07:31 AM

One small correction to RoamsAround's post above. Little Dix Bay is on Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. It's a sister resort to Caneel Bay, which is on St. John. Little Dix Bay is a popular honeymoon spot so you may want to check it out.

Also, we've been to quite a few high end resorts during the school year and I'm always surprised by the large number of school-age children there. If you truly want adults only then you might need to go to an adults only resort. Most adult only resorts are all-inclusives but there are some nice ones if you decide to go that route.

I, too, think Grand Cayman may be what you're looking for. It offers stunning beaches, good snorkeling, a town and an opportunity to swim with stingrays in their natural environment, the open ocean (not caged like the dolphins always are).

Early October is pretty close to the height of hurricane season so do purchase the appropriate trip insurance and watch the weather carefully. The good news about hurricanes is that you usually have quite a bit of warning so you can change your plans if you need to. Not that you want to be dealing with changing your honeymoon at the last minute in the days before your wedding but if you travel during that time of the year you have to make allowances.

Caribzack Jul 16th, 2013 08:19 AM

Look at Turks & Caicos and The Somerset resort. www.thesomerset.com We had our honeymoon on TCI and fell in love with the Island. Great restaurants, long beaches to walk, very little nightlife but, always something to do. ( Live Music, jet ski rental, horseback riding on the beach, boat rides & excursions)

RoamsAround Jul 16th, 2013 12:06 PM

sharona - thanks for the correction - I certainly meant Caneel Bay not Little Dix Bay.

PhillyBob1 Jul 16th, 2013 02:10 PM

I'd say it depends on what you two like. St John,G Cayman are wonderful. Cayman is not the prettiest of islands.It's flat for the most part, where St John has rolling small mountains and amazing beaches. Both have outstanding snorkeling. If you like a hotel like feel Seven Mile Beach on G Cayman will do the trick. I never stayed there. I always go to the North Side "Cayman Kai" and rent a small bungalow or cottage. I'm a chef so food is no problem. Some of the best meals I've had was after fishing with some locals on either island and cooking dinner that day or the next.Cruz Bay in St John is kind of a funky little college town,,lots of restaurants and bars, some with local entertainment at least on the weekends.As Roam Around said, Caneel Bay Resort on St John is very nice,and pricey as is the large hotel on the island..which I cannot think of at the moment..Congratulations on your upcoming wedding..Have a ball!