Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caribbean Health Concerns (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caribbean-health-concerns-510578/)

kjweller Mar 8th, 2005 01:31 PM

Caribbean Health Concerns

We're going on a cruise to the Caribbean in April. (San Juan, St. Thomas, Roseau, St. Barts, St Martin, Tortola, Grand Turk) I've read warnings about not drinking the water, cautions about food and mosquito borne diseases. Is there really something to be concerned about? We're not the type to be stalking our next meal or drinking from a river but we'd like to be confident in experiencing the islands independently and outside of a resort setting. Thanks in advance!

Sunnyboy Mar 8th, 2005 02:34 PM

Don't know about Roseau but I've been to all of the other destinations and you have nothing to worry about as far as drinking the water, eating the food or mosquito bourne deseases are concerned.

tivertonhouse Mar 9th, 2005 11:39 AM

Bring a Deet-based mosquito/no-see-ums repellent for dusk and dawn on the beaches. Otherwise, unless your stomachs are really sensitive (bring immodium, drink bottled water, no ice), you should have no health concerns on these islands.

Becca Mar 9th, 2005 04:11 PM

I've been to several islands in the Caribbean and never had a problem until last summer. My husband and I spent a week in Antigua (5 nights at Cocobay Resort followed by 3 nights at Jumby Bay). On our first night at Jumby Bay I developed food poisoning, which turned out to be e. coli. It takes a few days for e. coli to develop, so I suspect I got it while staying at Cocobay. I ate the buffet for breakfast and lunch everyday at Cocobay, which included a lot of fruit and salads. Of course, I'll never know how I picked it up. Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about it - especially on the islands you are visiting.

live2traveltoo Mar 10th, 2005 07:24 PM

I have been to the caribbean many times and have never been sick. I even buy food from the street vendors and drink the water along with ice in my drinks. The only time that I have gotten sick is when I went to Cancun. I was extra careful not to drink the water or eat salads etc. The good thing was that I was there for 7 days and did not get sick until the last day and it lasted for 2 weeks.

Have fun and enjoy I don't think that you will get sick.

P.S. must of us concentrate on getting sick when we travel (me too) but how many of us have gone to a local restaurant in the U.S. and have gotten food poison? I would think that we have a greater chance of getting food poison at home than when we travel abroad.

paulalou Mar 11th, 2005 06:28 AM

Just like travel elsewhere, you donot need to get sick when tavelling in the Caribbean, if you use your head. When in doubt - bottled water it is!! Most resorts have treated drinkig water and will tell you not to drink the tap water if it is not safe. I do have a more tempermental stomach, so I stick to bottled water so I can enjoy my stay.

Too much sun AND alcohol is never a good combination. I always marvel when people complain about how sick they were, and further on in their post they are talking about their alcoholic intake. Moderation on both counts works best. Yes, the Caribbean is closer to the equator - the sun is hotter - bring sunscreen.

Tivertonhouse is right - always be prepared with an insect repellant containing DEET. I have been to many islands where I never got bitten, and then I was eaten alive in St. Kitts - learned that lesson the hard way!!!

Just use your head and enjoy your travels!!

Annabel Mar 11th, 2005 07:44 AM

IMHO, I would be more concerned about the germs and viruses on the ship than the islands. I just saw a story about cruise ship cleanliness on the Today show. A traveler went around the ship collecting germ samples from the ship. I would most definately bring disenfecting wipes and give your bathroom a total wipedown. Most of all do not go into the jacuzzi tubs!

I have been traveling to the caribbean for many years and have never gotten sick. I always drink bottled water, but I do that at home. Wash your hands often when on the ship. In my experience, the bugs in the caribbean in April are not a problem, it is when you get to the hotter rainy months. As far as food goes, use your own judgement...do not eat anything undercooked or raw or anything that has been sitting in the sun or looks like its been out for a while. Same rules that apply at home.

The islands you are going to are not remote and you will not have a problem.