Dominican Republic vs. Riviera Maya

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I ready to try an All-Inclusive! Our budget this year is limited due to unplanned expenses at home, so we are thinking that Dominican Republic or possibly Mexico are our best bets.

We are looking at going in April/May. We'd like a beautiful beach that we can lounge at all day as well as stroll every morning. We would like to do an excursion (or two) - anything really, just something to get us off-site as we're uncertain how we'll handle a week of just relaxing! We like to snorkel. We'd like plenty of restaurant choices.

The debate between the two:
- where can we avoid the most beach vendors (my least favorite memory from previous trips to Mexico)
- where is the safest
- we do not want a party vibe (researching for best resort choice)
- is the water/beach better at one location over the other

We are leaning towards Dominican Republic (Punta Cana, Bavaro Beach), but are curious if we pick Mexico, where would you suggest? Cancun, Playa del Carmen, or elsewhere? (thinking Cozumel's beaches wouldn't be what we are looking for.)

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 05:52 AM

Secrets Maroma Beach Rivera Cancun. It is outside of Cancun between Playa Del Carmen and Cancun. I was there with a group of 6 pickly ladies and all of them raved about this all inclusive. Although we were there for a girls trip Secrets Maroma is really a couples resort. Set on a gorgeous beach. No vendors. The restaurants are fantastic, the service impeccable and the Spa is great as well. The activities are unlimited (if you are into that sort of thing). It is not crowded. Everything is included including free calls back to the US (which I have never experienced before at any resort). Its rated very highly (and I think its number 1 in the Playa area). I have been to Punta Cana in the DR as well and stayed at the Majestic Elegance. Not bad but Secrets is certainly more luxurious.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would pick Mexico in a heartbeat! I'm just not crazy about the DR. On the Caribbean side, I'd suggest Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Akumal or Tulum (the last two since you specifically mention beaches).
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 05:24 AM

I think you will find a better choice of off-resort excursions in Riviera Maya.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 08:00 AM
KVR

Definitely Mexico. You will have a better choice of off site activities and a wide range of AI resorts to choose from. For beaches, chose a resort on Maroma Beach. It's the best beach in the area. The Tulum/Akumal area is good also. Your right, Cozumel is not known for their beaches. Snorkeling is the draw there and you need rock and limestone for good snorkeling. I would not suggest Isla Mujeres as it's an Island off of Cancun and really nothing to do there except chill.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.

Interesting, I was thinking the DR would fit the bill better (nicer beach, less party-vibe, safety, etc.). What excursions would you suggest? On DR I was thinking of doing 2: Santo Domingo and then either a catamaran trip OR a cave/jungle trip.

Thanks again... off to ponder the options.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For an idea of what type of excursions are available in Mexico's Riviera Maya, look into Edventure Tours. They have set tours but will also design a day around what you want to do.
http://www.edventuretours.com.mx/
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 12:18 PM

There are more "safety" issues off-resort in the DR than there are in that part of Mexico.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I'm finding Mexico's all-inclusives to cost less than Dominican Republic's, but then I'm finding it could cost $150/each for round-trip shuttle to the airport in Cancun to the southern areas... Is that correct? Just weighing the pros and cons.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 07:28 AM

You don't have to do an expensive shuttle service. There are normal busses that run in that area. Are you talking about getting down to Playa del Carmen area?
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 08:17 AM

"I'm finding it could cost $150/each for round-trip shuttle to the airport in Cancun to the southern areas... Is that correct?"

No it's not correct. Trying calling AGI tours. I did a private shuttle from Cancun airport to the Palladium (Near Akumal) and it was less than $150 round trip for (both) of us.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 08:19 AM

I actually just went to the AGI website, and priced it out for two adults from Cancun to Akumal.....$130....roundtrip.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Canada Transfers. They are usually less expensive than many others.
Old Feb 9th, 2015, 09:57 PM

First off.. look at these two resorts.. I have stayed at both.. and they are both amazing.. clean, well run etc.. beautiful..

The Grand Palladium is larger.. and has UNLIMITED ala cartes for your stay.. plus great pools, bars( not rowdy) and grounds ( jungly) . Long beach.
The Grand Bahia has a great beach, great food,, but limited ala cartes( three allowed per week stay for most catergories.. if you book top catergories in the Don Pablo sections ( Sian Kaan and Akumal)

Neither resort has any beach vendors ( yeah!!)

I would go back to each in a heartbeat.

Both are close to EASY AND FUN DIY daytrips.

Visit the Mayan Ruins of Tulum.. cost about 6 bucks.. and about 3 bucks each for bus there ( van buses called collectivos)

Snorkeling at Akumal Bay.. I barely went out.. and saw at least 5-6 turles and some sting rays.. !! With my cheap mask brought from home no fins even! Free day out except for lunch or drinks at a beach place , and snorkel rental if needed. Cost.. about 3 bucks each for bus.. )(each way)

Finally if you want to splurge on a super fun and thrilling day out .. Xplor for ziplining, cave swim, and all terrain jeeps.. it was pricey about 90 bucks each I think.. but we really had a blast.. bus was about 3 bucks.

We had transfers included in our vacation packages.. but we chose to book private transfers with Canada Transfers.. awesome deal ..

Zip