Caribbean Cruise - Which Islands?

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Diana

Caribbean Cruise - Which Islands?

Hello!

My husband and I are thinking about a caribbean cruise next year in May. I have been to St Lucia and Barbados for our honeymoon (loved both!). We would like to go to other tropical isles. Any suggetions? We are looking for scenic views, beautiful beaches, etc.

Also any good feedback on cruise lines? We haven't picked one but I may be ruling out Norwegian - too many islands. We don't want to go to more than 4 isles.

Any comments, feedback, advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks, Diana

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Mike

Depends on what you're looking for. Carnival is the cheapest of the mainstream lines and tends to draw a younger, more active crowd. Can be some pretty hard-core partiers depending on the itinerary and the time of year. Ships are decorated in a very "Las Vegas" style. Royal Caribbean is slightly more low key and upscale than Carnival, but still lots to do and definitely not all senior citizens. Decor is more windows, woods, and brass than neon and loud colors. Princess is probably another step up from Royal Caribbean. Similar decor. Draws a somewhat older and more affluent crowd than the other two. Holland America has historically drawn mostly seniors, although I hear that is changing. I wouldn't recommend Norwegian--haven't hear good things about them. Supposedly Disney is very nice, but they clearly target families with children.

You'll find a wide variety of itineraries on most all of the lines I've mentioned. In the Caribbean, most do either an Eastern route (St. Thomas, Bahamas, maybe also St. Martin, Puerto Rico or a private island) or a Western route (Cayman Islands, Cozumel, Jamaica, sometimes Key West). Most lines also have their own private islands, which are predominantly a beach destination. For more info on cruises (reviews, bulletin boards, etc.) check out www.cruisecritic.com.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Penney

We went on our first cruise this past April and after tons of research, we chose Celebrity Cruise Line and we were not disappointed.

Also haveing traveled the Caribbean alot, we found St. Kitts to be one of the most beautiful islands we have ever seen. It is very mountainous, lush and green and just looks like a postcard!
We were not impressed with Barbados at all but did also enjoy St. Lucia - tons to see therer.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:45 AM
karen

You might want to check out some of the smaller ships which visit some of the less developed islands or even a Windjammer cruise but they might be a bit pricey. They are an option to the larger ships that are mentioned above. You get a choice of many different islands than the biggies can give you and see some wonderful Caribb islands that are more "off" the beaten path!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 01:12 PM
D

Grand Cayman is my favorite place for a cruise stop - its beautiful and if you love to snorkel/dive, this is the place. And I just came back from a cruise on Royal Caribbean and can highly recommend that (sailed on Sovereign of the Seas - very nice).

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Amy

Diana-
I have been on two fabulous cruises.
1. 7 night Western Caribbean on board the Mercury a Celebrity ship. For my 1st experience this was the BEST. An absolutely beautiful ship, with lots of activites, and great ports of call. It's a little bit older and more mature crowd than Carnival, which is what we were looking for. We stopped at Key West, St Thomas, Cozumel, Grand Cayman...
2. 11 night cruise through the Panama Canal on board the Sun Princess a Princess ship. This was also a beautiful ship, although the Mercury was a little more spacious and the food was a notch higher. Regardless, this was an incredible cruise. We discovered two great places, Curacao & Isla Margaritta.
Curacao is a great dutch island. All the buildings are painted very bright colors. It was the cleanest island I have ever seen. The shopping here was fabulous.
Isla Martinque is an island off the coast of Venezula. This is an widely unknown little gem. We took a jeep/beach tour. It was the best time of our lifes! We went to 2 different beaches. One was very calm, pretty...good to relax and get a tan. The 2nd beach had very intense waves....great for body surfing!
In between we went 4 wheeling. It was by far the best excursion that we have ever been.
Although we loved Celebrity.....we would probably book again with Princess due to the fact that they give great discounts to repeat customers....
Hope this helps.
Amy

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 08:33 PM
wingsfan

We also took Royal Caribbean. 11 nights included Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Aruba, Jamaica & Curacao. We liked it so much that we went again the following year and brought half the neighborhood with us!

We loved all the islands with the exception of Jamaica. We climbed Dunn's River Falls and had a great time doing that but the locals were hastling us and we didn't care for that part of the experience.

The beaches were fantastic on all the other islands and we did a lot of snorkeling and diving. I would not hesitate to recommend this itinerary to anyone. It is fabulous and was not much more in price than a 7 day.

Things we did and loved:

Cozumel: instructional scuba dive, great jewelry buys
Grand Cayman: Stingray City, rum cakes
Jamaica: Dunns River Falls
Aruba: Eagle Beach and DePalm Island
Curacao: Seaquarium (non ceritifed dive or snorkeling in a contained reef with sea turtles, sharks (Behind partitions) and many species of fish, quait and colorful with many shops and decent prices.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:50 PM
becky

my husband and i have went on 3 cruises.all three was on carnival.we loved carnival. but we are going to try the grand princess this time.
jamaca was wounderful as well as grand cayman.