Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Weather in late June and early July: How rainy is it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody,

I'm planning to travel to the caribbean in late June and earl July to either of these islands: Tobago, Grenada or St. Lucia. Since I see that it is low season, from what I can gather while checking out lodging rates, I was wondering how rainy it is. I've read that it is mostly brief and intense showers, but I've just read a trip report on Grenada where it seemed to have rained heavely quite often.

Thanks for your time and advice,

Orlando
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 03:13 AM

No one can predict NOW what the weather will be like on those islands in LATE JUNE and EARLY JULY other than to say it will be tropical. The islands on your list are lush mountainous islands with rain forests - they don't get that way without substantial rainfall. Now, you can expect it will rain somewhere on any of those islands for some time in any given 24 hour period. Rain when it does come is most often in the form of fast moving, widely scattered showers lasting minutes rather than hours. There's usually more rain up in the mountains and rain forests (hence the name) than there are in the low lying costal areas. That said, it is not unusual for it to rain in one area and there be bright sun 1/4 mile away. ALL DAY RAINS ARE RARE, especially during June and July but like anywhere else in the world they can occasionally happen.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 04:47 AM

If you want to find out your best odds for less rain, just google "Monthly Rainfall" and of course add in whatever island you want to know about. This usually will get you to a website that breaks down each month of the year for any given island. Just keep in mind, the weather is a crap-shoot no matter where you go. But going during the dry seasons will certainly up your odds....
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 04:58 AM

If I could guarantee sun for every bodies vacations I'd be worth a fortune! ;-)

On a different note FYI slow season vs peak season is not based on weather.

It's based on when the bulk of the travelers go to Caribbean. School breaks are when most families travel, and many travel to Caribbean to escape cold weather, and therefore "peak" season.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 05:24 AM

I've been in St. Maarten, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Cayman, Puerto Rico, the DR, and several other islands in June, July, and August. I've been there with no rain and rain for as much as a full day. Other people have been and had rain for a full week. Rain isn't unusual in the Caribbean any time of the year---even during the high season---but it rarely lasts long when there isn't a tropical storm. But I remember our publisher once went to the DR in February and had rain off and on for the full week. One of the rainiest weeks I can remember in St. Maarten (which caused massive flooding) was in January.

The hurricane season is not really the "rainy" season. It's when hurricanes are most likely. Afternoon and evening rains are not unlikely at any time of the year.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 07:29 AM

Hmmm...I wonder if it was my trip report that you read about the uber-rainy vacation in Grenada a couple of years ago...

As others have said, there's absolutely no way to predict. A rained-out vacation has only happened to me twice, thank goodness, and one of them was in high season, aka the drier season. it's purely luck of the draw.

Just plan your trip accordingly--make sure you stay in a place that allows for rainy day entertainment or activities. Bring along some card games or a few favorite DVDs. It's also a great impetus to explore your island of choice beyond the beach.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi everybody,

Thanks four your reply and input. I'm more confident now about traveling during the Summer.

Ejcrowe, I don't remember the username of the person wrote the trip report I read, but I do remember it was written by a lady about her anniversary trip with her husband to Grenada and Antigua (or was it Anguilla?).

Anyhow, I'm still deciding about where to go in the caribbean, but I am traveling for sure during that period.

Thanks again,

Orlando
Old Dec 11th, 2012, 04:55 AM

We live part time in Trinidad. I can tell you that it will rain relatively consistently year around. The "Rainy Season" runs from July through December. The "Dry Season" is typically January through March. Typically the storm showers move quickly across the island so you wouldn't expect to have the entire trip rained out.
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Constant R.

I've bought my tickets and booked lodging to visit Tobago next Easter. I visited it this year, at Easter as well, and I loved it.

Orlando
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:38 AM

Great to hear that! I've been to Trinidad about 15 times but have never visited Tobago. We keep meaning to but then changing our plans.