Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Carabbean in December, suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/carabbean-in-december-suggestions-731271/)

aranda Aug 23rd, 2007 08:14 AM

Carabbean in December, suggestions

Planning a get away to somewhere in the Carabbean in early December. I have checked the posts on Fodors but I'm still not sure. What I am looking for are beautiful safe beaches, nature explorations, good food. Not looking for shopping or crowds and perfer something intimate,natural and romantic. Perhaps an all inclusive? Are package deals worth it? I don't know. I have been to Puerto Rico, Jamaica and St. Croix. My focus is to find a great place to just chill out for my husband and myself. We can fly from Albany, New York or Newark, New Jersey. Price range $250 - $300 a day, or so.

With the help from the wonderful experts at Fodors we were able to plan a most memorable trip to Italy last fall. I'm hoping you all will be able to guide me once again.

Happy trails,
Aranda

ibeenthere Aug 23rd, 2007 09:04 AM

I love grand caymen.it's safe,fun,beautiful,you can be busy or chilled out,whatever you choose.it's not a large island but has all the ammenities you will need.prices vary from good to expensive.crime rate very low,great shopping and restaurants available if you desire.have a great trip.personally-we prefer crusing,eat/sleep whenever,can do everything or nothing at all,food is excellent,no stress!we can only recommend royal caribbean because they always meet our very high standards!

TomCayman Aug 23rd, 2007 12:34 PM

If you would like to visit Grand CaymAn in the CarIbbean (sorry, spelling errors bug me :) ), then coming early in December would be a great choice for budget travel.

Cayman Airways flies several times a week non-stop from JFK with fares from US$388 per person.

You can get great beachfront rooms from about $200 per night, and if you stay five nights the fifth night will be free in most properties.

Rent an inexpensive car and explore

ejcrowe Aug 24th, 2007 06:10 AM

Is your price range just for accommodations? If so, you're golden. You can find something nice in early December on just about any island. If you mean that is your total expense for lodging, meals, drinks, activities, then there will be far fewer choices.

Package deals can indeed save you quite a bit of money, but do keep in mind that in order to get "beautiful safe beaches, nature explorations, good food" and "intimate,natural and romantic" you won't find many package deals offered in terms of flight + hotel. Those are usually found with the larger resorts and/or chain hotels and/or all inclusives.

For a low budget that fulfills all of your requirements, take a look at www.lasagesse.com on Grenada. Nice rooms, gorgeous beach, very romantic and very secluded setting, with among the best food on the island right there on site. Perhaps it's too secluded though, being 25 minutes' drive away from most of the tourist based activities on the island.

100dm Aug 26th, 2007 10:56 PM

Hella Aranda,

I would go to St. Barths. Take a look on my website and see all the beautiful beaches.
www.iledestbarth.com

Have fun
Ingo

i2pureart Aug 27th, 2007 09:33 AM

Hi...I recommend CaymAn in Dec....one of my favorite months there, with "holiday foods"/heavy cakes, beach bar-b-ques to be found, & water temp. so balmy and great! I aqlso recommend exploring by car....just keep saying "keep left, keep left" at intersections...but very doable.
You can'r beat a relaxing beach day, from the big 7-Mile beach, to lil Smith Cove, or lovley East End breezes...Cayman Tom may even mix you a perfect Rum Punch! Dining really can't be beat either, from exquisite high end treats to casual Sunset House (Indian chef great curry or seafood or burger in paradise)...to the jerk pork stand "to go"...you shouldn't ever starve in Cayman (Love breakfasts "Island style" too).
Can be relaxing holiday...just venture to George Town the day you see no cruise ships, & venture down south Church St., to Noth Side, East End...LOVE Cayman Brac...but mostly for diveaholics.

martamorton Aug 27th, 2007 04:49 PM

How about trying Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. Great beaches, no crowds clear turquoise waters. Check out my website/photo gallery at www.harbourclubvillas.com

aranda Aug 30th, 2007 03:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I'll research all suggestions for sure.

I'll be flying from New York, would like to fly from Albany, but may have to go to JFK, as per what American said. Could also do Newark, New Jersey.

Any suggestions on flights? The least painful as possible, hopefully non-stop.

Do take care everyone,

Aranda

Knowing Aug 30th, 2007 04:34 PM

I would check out Barbados, as well. Signs of the British heritage are still everywhere. Barbados is known for its beautiful white sand beaches and for the coral reefs that fringe the island on three sides. The average annual temperature is about 79 degrees. I don't recommend an AI there though as they create the most wonderful food there!

Nevisian Aug 31st, 2007 08:55 AM

wherever you choose, choose and book a.s.a.p. December, before Christmas, is proibably still available at the good resorts, After Christmas the best resorts are book way in advance. Good luck and have fun.