Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Car Seat Needed in Jamaica (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/car-seat-needed-in-jamaica-686889/)

jamicah Mar 11th, 2007 12:20 PM

Car Seat Needed in Jamaica

Is it required/recommended to bring a car seat for Montego Bay for a 13 mo old? Not sure what the laws are there and if we're better served leaving it at home.

Tango Mar 11th, 2007 01:34 PM

I know it's a hassle but I would bring it no matter what their laws are...and use it every time. That's what I did when my baby was little...and still do now that she's almost 5.

One thing that could help you is to buy the combo car seat/stroller made by TriplePlay (I think that's the name) so you don't have to lug as much stuff.

It's just not safe not to use the proper equipment!

CaribbeanSoul Mar 11th, 2007 04:17 PM

We have been in a similar circumstance and will be again in May (with 10 mo old twin girls). We checked in an older one on a trip to Negril when we brought our, then, 7 month old son. I don't think it passes current US safety specs, but it was good enough and gave us peace of mind. We are going to check in that same one, and also another which has been "donated" to us and we are going to leave with Errol Cox who provides us airport transfers to Negril from MBJ. This way he'll have a couple to use for others and us, when we need them again next year.

There are no laws in JA requiring car seats and it is my understanding that they are tough to come by.

tivertonhouse Mar 12th, 2007 03:42 AM

There are laws in Jamaica requiring car seats and paradoxically few car seats to be found. Some private drivers have them/hardly all and few to be found at car rental agencies. Bring yours.

tivertonhouse Mar 12th, 2007 03:44 AM

Tip: On island, whether city or country, front seat passengers and driver must always use seatbelts. Cops only too happy to pull you over and fine you US$20 a head, payable on the spot.

Tuxedocat Mar 12th, 2007 09:28 AM

Ditto Tango's recommendation of the Tripleplay. I, too have a 4 year old who still uses hers when we travel. It is a wonderful, convertible stroller/carseat and made to FAA specifications. It will fit in most airline seats. Our kid started to refuse to use it on the airplane at around 2.5 years, so we just push it up all the way to the gate and they check it in there with all the other strollers. But for a 13 month old who would be hard to secure/control, having him/her strapped into a carseat is great. When my child was under 2 and we didn't have to pay for a ticket if she sat on our laps, the airline will often allow you to use an empty seat depending upon the configuration and availability on the flight. I would definitely invest in a Tripleplay or similar. Even though it's $200+ it's been worth every penny. I often take it shopping too. I don't have to rely on whether the store or mall has something the kid can ride in. Also, we originally bought one because every rental carseat we encountered was absolutely disgusting. Nothing I'd want to put my child into.