Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Car seat in the Bahamas (not renting a car) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/car-seat-in-the-bahamas-not-renting-a-car-442137/)

travelinfamily Jun 13th, 2004 04:14 PM

Car seat in the Bahamas (not renting a car)

We are not renting a car in the Bahamas, we are relying on our own feet and public transportation to get us around. We didn't really want to lug the car seat with us, but wont leave without it if there is none available in the taxis. Or maybe we can get by with no taxi use at all?? Has anyone had experience with this?? My daughter is 4 and 1/2 and of course safty is first, but if the taxi provides a seat (or there is other forms of transportation), I would hate to have drug the seat across the country for nothing...Thanks for any advice, we leave Saturday!!! YEA!

Robert Jun 13th, 2004 04:37 PM

Where in the Bahamas are you going? The transportation and access to all the activities vary island-to-island, and the Bahamian archipelago has over 700. Robert

tamara Jun 13th, 2004 04:43 PM

Although there are seat belt laws in effect, they do not pertain to public transportation. Your cab will most likely NOT have a child safety seat.
You more than likely will need to take a cab from the airport to the hotel, beyond that, depending where you are staying you may or may not need cabs.

wantsomesun Jun 13th, 2004 06:11 PM

You cab from the airport to the hotel WILL NOT have a child car seat. There is just not enough room in the cab or the trunk since they would be very rarely used.

There are "jitneys" that travel all over GBI and Nassau, and most of the outislands have cabs.

I agree that depending on where you are staying I probably would forgo the car seat and not lug it along.

Have a great time.

travelinfamily Jun 13th, 2004 06:37 PM

Sorry, I should have been more specific, we are going to Nassau. Staying on Cable Beach a couple of nights and then moving to Paradise Island for the remainder of the trip.

Robert Jun 14th, 2004 03:24 AM

New Providence and Paradise Island have good public transportation systems. But, the jitneys are driven fast and quite often weave in and out of traffic, without slowing down much. I've taken the jitney from downtown Nassau to south ocean frequently, and have gripped the seat handles now and then. I don't think you have to worry much, though, when "jitneying" around downtown Nassau and on PI, for the traffic is slow. You may want to reconsider renting a car if you want to island explore, for one day or so. Then, you could call Hertz (very prevalent in Nassau) or other national rentals, and see if they have car seats available in Nassau so you don't have to tote your own. You will be on edge, from the tone of your posting and your love for your child, on most jitney transports. I'd give Hertz, Avis, etc., a call and inquire about car rental for one day (to go exploring) and if they have car seats available. Robert