Car rental vs. taxis in San Juan Condado area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving for a week in San Juan, staying at the Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza Hotel. From reading other posts, we're thinking that, because the beach isn't so great there, we may want to go to the Isla Verde Beach, visit Old San Juan , etc. We're trying to decide whether or not to rent a car, or rely on taxis. It seems that taxis are expensive. Our questions about car rental center around the cost/availability of parking, including at the Conrad San Juan Condado Hotel, as well as other hotels and restaurants on the Isla Verde strip, and in Old San Juan. We'd appreciate any information on this topic.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You are right about the beach at the Condado Plaza. Although right on the water, most of the property is bordered by a rockwall. There is a small, not particularly nice beach off to one side. That being said, I don't think you necessarily have to drive to Isla Verde for a beach. Further down the Condado strip, the beach improves. If you walk down to the Marriott or Renaissance, the beach is better. Also, I would not recommend a car to visit Old San Juan. OSJ is close to Condado and the taxi ride should be less than $10. Alternatively, you could take a bus from Condado to OSJ for probably a $1 or less. I would only recommend a rental if you want to explore areas outside of San Juan. That being said, I know that Condado Plaza did have a rental car agency on premises (not sure if they still do). There are also rental agencies on Ashford Avenue near the hotel.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tom42. Very helpful info. A walk down to the Marriott sounds like a good idea. Does the beach connect, so that we could walk along the beach to the Marriott, or would it involve walking on the road? Also, the fact that there are car rentals nearby gives us the freedom to do a day rental, without having to pre-arrange a rental for the entire period.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You're welcome. The beaches do not connect so you would have to walk down Ashford Ave. If you are leaving the main entrance of the Condado Plaza, you just go left. I'd say its about a 10 minute walk down the main drag.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,tom42. I think we can easily handle that!