Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   car rental on St. John/St. Thomas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/car-rental-on-st-john-st-thomas-301282/)

gusekevi Mar 27th, 2003 07:38 AM

car rental on St. John/St. Thomas

I am planning a honeymoon to The Ritz on St. Thomas and Caneel Bay on St. Thomas for late May. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for car rentals. Is it necessary to have a Jeep? Compact car rentals are much less expensive from Budget. Also, has anyone used the car ferry that costs $25 from St. Thomas to St. John? I have been told that most car rental places allow you to use your car on both islands. Thanks, Kevin.

cdt Mar 27th, 2003 09:18 AM

We rented from Avis and at the time (Dec. 2001) they allowed their cars on the ferry. You definitely do NOT need a 4WD on St. Thomas. We paid about $200 (plus taxes) for a week. Firms with airport locations (such as Avis) charge an extra fee - maybe 10%?<BR><BR>I would say SOME, rather than MOST, St. Thomas rental firms allow their vehicles on the ferry. However, if you have an accident or breakdown while on St. John, you may have quite a wait for assistance.<BR><BR>St. John rentals cost more (min. $50/day, I think) and are usually 4WD. However, you can reach most of the beaches, and virtually all restaurants, shops, etc., with a 2WD. You really only need a 4WD to get to a few out-of-the-way spots. The 4WD also helps when the rather steep, winding roads are wet.<BR> <BR><BR>

ezron Mar 27th, 2003 04:23 PM

You want a Jeep 4WD on St John.

Luv2travel2 Mar 27th, 2003 07:20 PM

I would probably rent a jeep on St. John since some of the roads are quite steep and it's fun to drive along back roads. As far as St. Thomas a car should be fine. Although, I don't know if I would want to rent a vehicle in St. Thomas since the drivers are so crazy there. It's more of a small city than a small beach town. I also thought about using the ferry over to St. Thomas but I read a lot of negative reports of vehicles breaking down and being stuck in St. Thomas for hours, so we decided against it and just took a taxi.

mersingary Mar 28th, 2003 04:02 AM

One warning--Budget does not have emergency road assistance after hours or on weekends. We found this out the hard way.

anna_k Mar 28th, 2003 05:12 AM

Another vote for a 4WD Jeep on St John, I think you'd be OK with a car if you were just day tripping over, but if you're staying on the island I'd get the Jeep. We spent a week on St John in November and there were quite a few times we needed the 4WD. My parents did a day trip to St John a few weeks ago while on a cruise, they keep remarking about how steep and winding the roads were. We're heading back for a week this Sunday and have another Jeep reserved. There's no tax on car rentals which is nice and most places don't charge for additional drivers.

suntravel May 4th, 2003 10:45 AM

Going to St John soon for 5 days- what company do you recommend renting a 4ws jeep from?

klqkauai May 5th, 2003 09:38 AM

We like to rent from St. John Car Rentals - very accommodating and nicer vehicles than some of the other agencies we have rented from.