Car rental for 6 on St. John. 4 X 4?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were planning on renting a jeep for our trip for a week in Feb. but now there are 6 women meeting two more for a stay in a villa. The villa co. says we should have a 4 wheel drive for our villa (Oceanport). It increases our costs sig. if we do two jeeps so I thought of the small safari truck. Does anyone know if they are 4 wheel or have any experience with them? Thanks.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Many rental companies have Ford Explorer/Expeditions which seat 7. You do need to reserve well in advance though.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I was hoping you were on line and would respond to this Tuxedocat. We were hoping for something "open" to go around to the beaches. Our plan is to head out each day to a different beach. Running around in and Explorer just doesn't sound as good. We are from Iowa so we are always in SUV's in the winter.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:47 PM

Aahhh, Iowa. I was raised in Iowa City until age 8. My dad was in the International Writers' program at the University of Iowa. My sister returned to attend Grinnell. Anyway, back to your question: I can't say as I have any experience with the open air trucks. These vehicles are referred to as "jitneys" and consists basically of a pick-up truck with bench seats and a canopy overhead. They are used as taxi's. I am not sure if they are 4 wheel drive. You should ask the rental company if (1)they have jitneys to rent (2)it has 4 wheel drive. Honestly, even if the jitney is 4 wheel drive, I'd vote against it. They are not that comfortable, and I don't know if you'll want that open air thing all the time. Plus, I'm not sure I'd be fond of going around St. John, especially a villa with challenging roads, in a jitney. You're a fine Iowa gal. Imagine yourself in the back of a pick-up going up a 40 degree hill. Uh-huh, there are some 40 degree hills, and some worse... I'd either go the SUV route, or I'd just bite the bullet and get the 2 jeeps. We have had our overflow guests get their own vehicles because it's (1)more comfortable (2) you actually have room for beach stuff and luggage, and (3)you may find that not everyone wants to go to the same place at the same time. The jeep wranglers (soft-top convertible) rent on average for about $65/day as opposed to $85-95/day for the SUV. I don't know what a jitney would go for. $130/day split 8 ways for the 2 jeeps may not be that bad given the convenience and comfort factors. Just food for thought. I'll look at your villa listing and try to give you an idea of the terraine if I can figure out where it is on the island. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about St. John. I check in just about every day.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Okay, I just checked out Oceanport on the Caribbeanvilla.com site. Lovely choice! This villa is on Hart Bay and is fairly secluded. It's on the south side of the island and is close to Cruz Bay but is definitely out of the way. The South Shore Road runs past the Westin and the homes in this area are very luxurious. On a clear day, you'll be able to see St. Croix 50 miles away. Hart Bay is not accessible by public roads so you will definitely feel uncrowded. And that little rock island in the middle of the bay is great for snorkeling. The road to the villa is definitely not the worst, but I know a couple of roads nearby where 4 wheel drive is needed. Besides, without 4 wheel drive, you won't be able to visit my personal favorite beach, Little Lameshur.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

The jitneys are cheaper. I figured there was a reason. Iowa City has grown so much. The 30 miles between Cedar Rapids (where I am) and Ia. City is very expensive and filling in. Your info is very helpful. Just what I needed. I'm thinking fo doing a different beach each morning. cont.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

cont. I am assuming the early mornings would be less crowded but what about amounts of fish and water conditions? Is there a time of day that is best? Snorkel in am and lounge/shop/read in pm? Thanks
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the update. I guess you'll be flying out of Cedar Rapids? I remember the big world globe they had there when I was a little girl. Cedar Rapids, the hometown of the great American poet, Paul Engle. I haven't been back in about 10 years. A funny story/link between St. John and Iowa for me. When we lived in Iowa, someone gave my dad a bottle of cologne which had a sort of basket weave wrapping around it. It was men's cologne made from key limes from the USVI. He had that bottle for years and years keeping it around as sort of a curiosity. I used to love to open it and just smell it. Decades later, I'm standing in a gift shop in St. John and I'm looking at that same bottle! Small world! Back to your questions. I don't like to snorkel very early (before 9 a.m.) or late (after 5 p.m.) because these are prime feeding times for larger predatory fish. Not to worry you, just that the light isn't as good either. I would definitely mind the sun. It is very powerful, and midday needs to be treated with respect (plenty of sunscreen) if you do stay out in the sun. My favorite snorkel times are roughly 9-11 a.m., and 2-4 p.m. for the good light and the sun is at more of an angle. I do my shopping while the sun is high and may be too hot. Have a nice lunch, relax a bit in the shade. Late afternoon/early evening is great for relaxing and chatting over cocktails. A few snorkel tips: fish congregate near rocks, so seek out rocky areas. In the wide open spaces you will tend to see stingray and turtles. Cinnamon Bay has a wonderful island to swim to and around. Gorgeous beach. Jumby and Hawksnest are the locals' favorites. Maho and Francis are very nice and almost always placid. Little Lameshur is also very nice beach with good snorkeling around the rocks to the left and a small rock cluster in the bay. Haulover North is good snorkeling and a short hike from the road, just to name a few. If you get a chance, go for a dinneror Sunday brunch at Miss Lucy's out in Coral Bay. Food is pretty good and the setting is right on the water overlooking the bay and out to the open ocean. It's a piece of the real St. John. Enjoy!