Car rental

Feb 16th, 2016, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Car rental

Hello,

We are traveling to Virgin Islands this week. For the first 3 nights we will be staying at Marriot Morningstar on St. Thomas. On day 1, I would only need transportation from airport to the hotel. However I expect to spend next two days on St. John, returning to St.Thomas in the evening. I would want to have my own car/transportation on St. John. Is it easy to rent car/jeep at Cruz bay ferry terminal on St John? Or should I rent car on St. Thomas and just ferry it to St John? My concern with ferrying car between St. Thomas and St. John is that I would need drive to Red Hook to catch a car ferry and the last car ferry leaves Cruz Bay for Red Hook early in the evening. If we miss it, we would be stuck at St John.

Also, on day 4 we would leave St Thomas for Tortola for a few days and finally return to St Thomas to catch our flight. I assume I wouldn't be able to take my rental car from St Thomas to Tortola. Is a rental car easily available at West End ferry terminal on Tortola?
Feb 16th, 2016, 05:34 AM

You should absolutely rent a car on St. John rather than take one from St. Thomas, but because this is a busy time, make a reservation now. It's both expensive and time-consuming to take the car ferry, and for such a short trip, it's just not worth it.

As far as I know, there are no car ferries to Tortola from St. Thomas, so you would have to rent on Tortola, and again, you need to reserve in advance.
Feb 16th, 2016, 03:13 PM

Not all car rental places on St. Thomas allow you to take rental car on ferry to St John. And if you have car trouble on St John you are SOL.

We've used Conrad Sutton in St John with good results.
Feb 18th, 2016, 01:23 PM

Just back from St. John, and I must disagree with the two posters above. We rented a car - at the airport - from Amalie Car Rental. They met us at baggage claim and transferred the car right there. We took the car on the car barge ($35 each way, don't buy round trip) directly to St. John. It was much more convenient for us because we only had to handle our luggage one time - not transfer to taxi to ferry to taxi etc.

If I were you, I'd pick up a car upon arrival and keep it for the first few days. Amalie was excellent to deal with, and they have mechanics on BOTH islands, so you are definitely not abandoned if problems arise in St. John.

I will say, I am confused by your post. Are you traveling each day over to St. John but returning each evening to overnight in St. Thomas? I would NOT recommend this, unless the barge situation has changed. You see, there are usually 3 barges, but one was seized by the govt, so two barges are doing the work of 3. And it is the busiest time of year. We waited in line a long time (an hour?) because the lineup was long going from Red Hook to Cruz Bay.

http://www.amaliecar.com/

P.S. There definitely IS a ferry system from St. Thomas to Tortola (passenger only I believe):
http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bvifer...CA_tortola.htm

Search this Thread