capping off honeymoon in nassau

Sep 14th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

capping off honeymoon in nassau

Hi,
We've just booked our honeymoon for this holiday season. We'll be spending three nights on harbour island and then 7 nights on cat island at fernandez bay village. we are so excited. we're coming back to nassau for one night before we leave the next morning. because of the flights, we probably won't arrive until 4pm in nassau. Because we'll have just spent 7 nights completely relaxed on a beach - I'm wondering if we should change it up and go out with a bang (Comfort Suite for Atlantis - even though not that much time to enjoy it?) or just try to get a cheap place to finish off our vacation nicely with the same vibe (orange hill?). i was thinking the British Colonial might be a nice middle ground - can we find some nightlife from there? Can we get to paradise island at night easily?
What would you do to end your honeymoon with a bang - I feel like we should go WITH the whole nassau thing - just for one night.
also - has anyone STAYED at the graycliff? or is that just good for eating?
(i think the compass point would be perfect but i'm wary due to bad reviews since changing owners)
Thanks Fodorites!!
Sep 14th, 2004, 04:33 PM

I'm not sure I'd consider the Comfort Suites scenario 'going out with a bang'. You'd not get to the hotel until ~5 PM. You'd have to hurry out after arrival and it'll be getting dark. Just depends on what you want.
The Ocean Club is the best place to stay in the area, but I don't know if you'd consider it 'worth it' to spend ~$1200 for a few waking hours at the resort. Also, if you're in the midst of the holiday season, OC has a 10 day minimum stay requirement as I recall.
Sep 16th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Sep 16th, 2004, 10:13 AM

I'd consider staying at Atlantis for a night, as long as you have time to use the "water park" style pools. You could explore The Dig, eat dinner by the aquarium, and gamble in the evening, and then spend a couple hours at the water slide complex the next morning before checking out. I think they are open from 9:00 or 10:00 AM until 7:00 PM.
Hey, you're right there anyway, and it would be fun to have an opportunity to explore Atlantis without making a huge investment, or trying to "sneak" around.
Have fun whatever you decide. And many congratulations on your marriage!
Sep 16th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Sounds like you are going to have a great time. Harbour Island is really beautiful and one of the best beaches you will ever find. Where are you staying on island there?

In Nassau, since you are really going to relax for a few days, I would also suggest the Atlantis or The Raddison on Cable Beach. Both are very nice, and right on the water but lots of restaurants close by, nice pools and a bit of nite life.

I usually stay next door at what is now the Wyndom (used to be the Marriott), because I love sitting out on the balcony and watching the water, having a cocktail and enjoying the breeze.

Have a wonderful time.
Sep 17th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warm wishes!
We're actually staying at Ma Ruby's (Tingum Village) on Harbour Island. Due to the holidays, the rates at Corals Sands, etc were too high - and the Landing was booked. I couldn't get connected to Runaway Hill - I guess they're closed for these two months but no one was answering the phone.

I'm wondering if you've heard anything about Graycliff. It seems nice but everyone just seems to eat there and not stay there? any thoughts?
Sep 17th, 2004, 09:43 AM

I don't think I would stay there, it is nowhere near a beach, but go there for dinner the food is wonderful.

You're staying at Tingum Village, oh that's such a cute place. Your accomodations will be small villas and they are fairly private. The food there is VERY good too. The cheeseburgers are legendary, as is the cracked conch.

PLEASE say HI to Ma and her daughter for me.

You are not far from the beach staying there, I think there is a walkway down to the beach you can take from there. You are also close to Seagrapes, one of the nite spots on island, and Larry Cleary will make you feel right at home there. The Funk Band plays there most nites.

Someone should be answering the phone at Runaway, it is closed now for the season, but will be reopening in November, so go there for dinner.

Have a GREAT time.