Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cap Juluca or CuisinArt w/o the kids in May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cap-juluca-or-cuisinart-w-o-the-kids-in-may-693300/)

cashman1 Apr 2nd, 2007 09:15 AM

Cap Juluca or CuisinArt w/o the kids in May?

Has anyone stayed at C.J. lately? We are trying to decide betweem C.J. and C.A and we're looking for a great beach, nice room and love running on the beach and watersports.
Is Cap Juluca still wonderful or is CuisinArt a better choice? Please help us decide.
Thanks Fodorites.

blamona Apr 2nd, 2007 11:17 AM

I think Cusinart is a little more kid friendly.

During certain times of the year, unless they have changed it, Cap doesn't allow children under 12.

Angler973 Apr 2nd, 2007 11:41 AM

I agree with blamona. My wife and I have been to both resorts, and while we preferred CJ, would not recommend it to anyone with kids. Of the two, CuisinArt is the better choice, but there are a lot of other resorts in the Caribbean that are more kid friendly.

cashman1 Apr 2nd, 2007 12:13 PM

Thanks for your posts. We are going without the kids. We don't mind kids being around but is CuisinArt overrun with kids?
Also, we hear it can be really windy at C.A. What do you think? Each has pros and cons but would like to hear from the experts who have been there.

blamona Apr 2nd, 2007 02:29 PM

Sorry-you wrote w/o! I was thinking with!

Since you're going without kids, I would pick Cap Jaluca-it's on a stunning beach.

cashman1 Apr 2nd, 2007 02:55 PM

Thanks for your reply. Right now, we're leaning towards Cap Juluca. Has anyone been there lately?

emcash Apr 2nd, 2007 03:14 PM

We were just in CJ 2 weeks ago. We LOVED it. We went to CA for a look to see what it was like and we were so happy we had chosen CJ. The room was spacious and the view from our 3 double doors that opened to our lanai was spectacular. The service was very good, the beach was amazing and there were not alot of children around. I did notice quite a few children at CA- but it was spring break -- i doubt that in May it would be overrun with children, but to me CA did not have the same relaxed , elegant feel that CJ did. We met up with people on our trip who had stayed at CA a few years ago and were at CJ when we were there and they said they preferred CJ hands down.

cashman1 Apr 2nd, 2007 03:53 PM

Thank you emcash. What a positive and great post about CJ.

Anguillagirl Apr 4th, 2007 11:35 AM

I think you are either a CJ fan or a CA fan. I"m a BIG Cuisinart fan. I go there every December with just my husband and we think it's very romantic. I get tired of the posts saying there are a lot of kids there-the only time we've even seen kids were around the Holidays, and it was a non-issue. The wind posts are getting old too. We've been staying at CA for five years and have never encountered anything more than a gental breeze-which we appreciate because it's hot. I strongly recommend CA. Stay in a third floor room on the beach. Breakfast out of your balcony with that view can't be beat!!

Kristy Apr 7th, 2007 08:30 AM

We just returnd yesterday from our first trip to anguilla. Wow.

You can't go wrong with either resort. The two beaches (rendezvous bay and maundays bay) are incredible. Granted we were there at spring break, but Cuisinart had way more kids then cj. CA was set up more family friendly with kids buffets at lunch, etc.

Wind wasn't a factor at all. The water was still and beautiful and the sand was blindingly white. We also stayed on Meads bay, and the wind and waves were an issue there. (for us, anyway, with two kids that aren't strong swimmers.).

Personally, when we go back without our kids, it will be at CJ.

travelchik Apr 8th, 2007 11:22 AM

we checked out both resorts on a recent seadream cruise which stopped in anguilla. while we loved the layout of c.a. and the setting, i hate to say it but the beach was very windy. we went down to c.j. and it was calm. i don't think you can go wrong with either place, but if wind is a factor, you will be safer at c.j.

cashman1 Apr 9th, 2007 11:52 AM

Thanks for your replies. I spoke to a rep from CuisinArt and she said that sometimes the wind can be a factor at CA depending on the season - no big deal unless we're getting pelted with sand.
I just wanted to get a feel for what you all thought. Is Cap run-down? Does it have good watersports and beach service? Both have pros & cons but still not sure.
Thanks.

emcash Apr 9th, 2007 12:02 PM

I would not describe Cap as run down. Do the interior of the rooms need a little bit of updating, maybe, but not run down. Like i said ( i think), new tiles on teh floor would be nice, maybe some new furniture, but the rooms were generally really nice. The thing with Cap, you don't feel like you're in a "hotel." you feel like you are in some sort of enclave of beautiful moorish buildings on the most perfect beach. When we walked through CA, I felt like i was in a hotel.

they did have water sports but we didn't partake so i can't comment. They also had beach service.

cashman1 Apr 10th, 2007 05:48 PM

Just curious if anyone has any new posts about their visits to CA or CJ?

sunni Apr 11th, 2007 10:09 AM

Just a note on the wind and waves subject. Every beach will have wind and or waves on any given day and certainly will be more prone depending on the time of year/season. We've been going to Anguilla for 10 years. We always go in May and always have stayed on Meads Bay. We have never experienced a windy/wavy day. There are always breezes though. From what I understand though is that Meads Bay can be quite windy and turbulent during the winter months while the ground seas occur. I would assume that would be the case for all the beaches. There are some beaches on Anguilla that are not advisable for swimming because of the undertow

island1856 Apr 11th, 2007 11:00 AM

Just got back from Cap Juluca. We visited both Cuisinart and Mali while there, seeing friends. Hands down, Cap Juluca is the place to be if you love the beach - the others cannot compare. But, if you want a spa, or love the pool, Cap is not for you.

cashman1 Apr 12th, 2007 10:59 AM

Thanks for your replies. Islands, could you please give me details of what you liked about Cap? How were the rooms and service?
Did you visit CuisinArt at all? Thanks again.

emcash Apr 12th, 2007 11:15 AM

just a thought-- have you checked out tripadvisor? they have some detailed reviews that might help you make your decision.

ALR Apr 12th, 2007 03:08 PM

I've stayed at both hotels at least four times and both are great places. I think both meet your requirements of being on great beaches, having nice rooms, watersports, and you can run on the beach at either place. I think the two have different personalities and everyone probably favors one or the other depending on their personal preferences. Cap Juluca feels smaller, more private, and romantic. You feel like you're really pampered there. Cusinart feels more like a big hotel because it's less spread out, seems a little sportier (altho both hotels have trainers, exercise classes, etc.) and is newer. Cuisinart has cooking demonstrations. Cap Juluca has motorized water sports (fun snorkel trips). I like RendezVous Bay for walking the beach several times a day (it's longer than Maunday's Bay), but Cove Bay is accessible from Cap Juluca and would probably be just as good. I like the rooms better at Cap Juluca, but again I think that's personal preference in decorating. I think most people fall in love with the first place they stay and will return year after year. You can't go wrong either way. If I were going without the kids, I'd choose Cap Juluca.

cashman1 Apr 15th, 2007 07:37 AM

Thanks ALR for your very helpful reply. I hope you don't mind if I bombard you with more questions.
Could you tell me how CA is sportier? Do they offer more in that dept than CJ? What about the spas at both?
Did you encounter any mosquito problems in the rooms at CJ?
Do you know what the bathrooms are like in the beachfront rooms at CJ? I love the look of the CA bathrooms but CJ's rooms look nicer.
Thanks!