Cap Juluca or Cuisinart?

Apr 5th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Cap Juluca or Cuisinart?

I am planning to go in early May. Does anyone have a recommendation one way or another (CAP vs. Cuisinart)? Is is easy to fly into SXM or should we fly into AXA?
Apr 5th, 2003, 01:00 PM

First of all I can tell you that CJ might be booked for early May. I know as I will be there, tried to change my dates as my husband has a business conflict, and could not. Lots of info posted on this forum on both hotels, ferry, flights etc. Just go to search for each hotel, even a few threads on CJ vs CuisinArt. Its easy to fly into SXM, take the ferry, others prefer SJU -AXA.
Apr 5th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Cap Juluca has much nicer accommodation in terms of quality, all on or immediately adjacent to the beach, and is on a better beach.
CA feels more apartment-ish to me. It's a cut below CJ (don't take my word for it--check virtually any broad based traveller's rank list.
And the prices tend to be very similar.
I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that CJ is often sold out helps redirect business over to CA.
Apr 6th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Cuisinart hands down!! Spent my 5-year anniversary there and loved it. Cap is for an older crowd, Cuisinart is more for the 30s and 40s crowd. Amazing rooms, great pool and location. Can't wait to return for my 10-year!!

Oh, and we flew from Newark to San Juan and took a small plane right into Anguilla. Very quick and easy
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Have to add my 2 cents here! Having been to the island at different times of the year, 12 trips, the age assumption is incorrect. You will get families at certain times of the year, lots of honeymooners in May and June. I can tell you both hotels get an age mix. In November there were lots of young couples, tatoos, rock stars and all!
So do not let the age thing influence
your decision!
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Penny, Thanks for the note. I tried Cap for 5/5 thru 5/11 and they were booked. I'm going to try 5/9 - 5/18.
Does anyone know how much time I'll need at the SJU airport? I'm using miles to travel from SFO to SJU, but need to pick up a different airline at SJU and am afraid I'll be stuck in customs and miss the "1 flight a day."
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Penny, thanks for the age clarification. We are in our mid 30's no kids and going to celebrate my graduation from B school. I want relaxation, sun, good food and most of all I want water so clear that I will be able to see my toe nail polish when I am neck deep.
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:23 AM

LOL-I know those dates as I tried to move mine around in that time frame!
Now I have kept my orginal dates, staying 6 nights, then going on to Jumby Bay! I will be returning home on the 9th! Anyhow I know its a long trip from SFO. Can't help you out re SJU, but if you go over to carribbean on line
Anguilla forum, lots of info in archives
re SJU, or lots of people who travel thru SJU to give you advice! You will get relaxtion!! You will see your toes!
Apr 6th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. Looks like my pursuit was for not. The CAP is booked throughout May. Looks like we have no choce but Cuisinart (as we are sentenced to squaller.)
Apr 7th, 2003, 04:28 AM

I have to say Cap Juluca is too popular.
Now having said that, you will not
be disappointed in CuisinArt. Its lovely, the gardens are septacular. Rendezvous is a stunning beach! The rooms at the hotel are very very nice.
CJ's just have more wooden louvred doors, and a bit more privacy. I would be very happy to stay at CusinArt again, but after staying at CJ for many years its won my heart! We dine at CuisinArt for lunch and dinner on most trips. We play bocci too. You will
have a great time, this is one of the outstanding hotels on the island. Indulge yourself in the spa. The hydoponic greens and cherry tomatos are
the best. You will not be disappointed.
Make sure you go to the fun dining spots on the island, Mangos, Straw Hat,
Scilly Cay, Georges at CJ, Trattoria
Tramonto(My Nothern Italian fav), Altamer, Olivers etc etc. You will have a wonderful time, and not be disappointed!