Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cap Juluca- new website and "world class talent to compliment Exisiting Julucan Team" (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cap-juluca-new-website-and-world-class-talent-to-compliment-exisiting-julucan-team-411291/)

emcash Aug 11th, 2008 04:03 AM

Cap Juluca- new website and "world class talent to compliment Exisiting Julucan Team"

I received an email from CJ over the weekend showcasing their new website and highlighting the new members of the CJ team, which include a new GM, new exec chef, etc. Their new website is finally befitting the 5 star hotel that it is, AND you can really see what the rooms look like now! Check out www.capjuluca.com

beckytx Aug 11th, 2008 09:32 AM

This is so much nicer! Darn it though, I can't afford to stay there next May now as the summer rates are now beginning in June vs May. I think I will spend all six nights at Ku, and visit the nice places as something to look forward to when I dont have student loans. :)

wbg9898 Aug 11th, 2008 01:22 PM

This is great news. I just read the newsletter from the new owner. I just love this place. It sounds like rennovations won't start for a year or so though.

Anguillagirl Aug 12th, 2008 12:04 PM

I agree the website is much better. I did get a kick out of the julucan society thing-but it sounds like it will be a nice perk.

oliviajake Aug 17th, 2008 05:36 AM

Booked 10 nights at CJ for the end of May. Was not sure what to expect. We were highly disappointed. Room was mediocre...ants everywhere, could hear the people in the room next door, maids moving patio furniture every morning at 7am. That being said, the view was spectacular. You could lie in bed and see nothing but the ocean. The service, in general, was not five star. We usually stay at Ritz Carltons or Four Seasons. I had to go get my own drinks/lunch twice on the beach. When calling to make a reservation for dinner at Kemia one night ( I called at 8:45pm and told them we wanted to come at 9:30) I was told they stopped serving at 9pm. I looked in the book in the room and told her it said 9:30. Long story short, I had to get a manager on the phone. Dinner at Pimms... had to send back my fish. Met a young couple on their honeymoon. They arrived at the hotel at 10pm from the airport and were starving. Could not get a thing to eat. Room service, of some sort, should be available 24 hours a day at resort of this caliber.

After 5 nights at CJ, we decided to move to Frangapani... WOW. Words cannot describe the beach at this hotel. Just spectacular and we had it ALL TO OURSELVES! I saw this hotel from the water coming in on a boat from St. Martin. It looked charming. One day we took a ride over to see the rooms. Looked nice. When we decided to make the change, I called the gal who showed us teh room. At check in, she was kind enough to upgrade us to the penthouse suite.. how about that for customer service! The bathrooms are fabulous, beds wonderful. Little things neat to be fixed at this hotel ( i.e. doors that don't close properly, maintenance items left around, etc..), but overall GREAT hotel. Would go back in a heartbeat over CJ. Cute restaurant on the beach... perfect for lunch and they offer complimentary continental breakfast.

I hope CJ changes with new ownership. It was all happening while we were there.

MaryD Aug 17th, 2008 11:34 AM

How did you see Frangi from the boat coming from St Martin? Frangi sits on the north coast facing the Atlantic Ocean; the boats from St Martin come across the Caribbean to the dock on the south coast of the island. Cap Juluca, CuisinArt and Covecastle are the resorts that are visible from the ferries -- all are on the Caribbean.

oliviajake Aug 17th, 2008 02:25 PM

Had a friend who is selling real estate at Shoal Bay who picked us up in their boat and gave us a tour of the island before taking us to CJ...Frangapani looked lovely from the water..