Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   cap juluca dining (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cap-juluca-dining-435277/)

crcash May 25th, 2004 05:02 AM

cap juluca dining

I have noticed that the price of food at the fabulous resort borders on the ridiculous. If I select the Romantic Rondezvous package, I receive four dinners included in the price. Do these dinners come from restricted menu, or prix fix? Am I better off just dining elsewhere on anguilla? I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on four bites of food! How much do cocktails run at the resort?? Also, if anyone knows of any websites with links to anguilla and cap juluca restaurants menus, that would be great.

HowardC May 25th, 2004 05:14 AM

Been to Anguilla 16 times and never eated at Cap. Don't think the large resort restaurants are as good as some of the independently owned. Lots of very good places to eat on Anguilla in all price ranges. Try www.news.ai and click restaurants up the top and you will find some menus.

Sunnyboy May 25th, 2004 05:37 AM

The dinners included in the Romantic Rondezvous package allow you to choose from the regular menu at both Pimms and Georges (including the weekly beach barbque and buffets). I think you can also dine at Kemmia (but I never ate there so I can be sure).

There are at least 80 other restaurants on Anguilla (fine dinning is one of the island's big draws) but many of them are on the pricey side with prices comparable to the restaurants at CJ. You can easily spend between $150 and $200US for dinner for two. There are, however, some moderate priced restaurants where two people can dine for under $100US.

Exotic cocktails at CJ run around $8.50US, figure $7.00US for regular mixed drinks and $5.00US beers. You'll find similar prices at other resorts and restaurants and slightly lower prices at a couple of the beach bars. Anguilla is an interesting island with fabulous beaches but it can present a bit of a challenge for the budget minded (I don't mean to imply that you can't visit Anguilla without spending a lot on food and drink its just that you'll have to bypass many of the more well know establishments).

Visit the following website for a pretty active forum on Anguilla - you'll find lots of info on CJ, restaurant reviews, and links to other Anguilla web-sites:

www.caribline.com/ag/agforum.shtml

travleis May 25th, 2004 05:42 AM

I would advise against buying the meal plan at CJ. Pimm's is great, and you should eat there at least once. The thing that sets it part is the atmosphere. Tables go right up to the water's edge and it's open air dining, with the beautiful CJ beach stretching out in front of you.

But since there are so many other great restaurants on Anguilla, don't restrict yourself. Pimm's is about as expensive a restaurant as you'll find on the island.

BTW there are websites that list full menus for many of Anguilla's restaurants.

crcash May 25th, 2004 06:01 AM

Thanks for all your help!
Are there supermarkets nearby? Maybe we could do sandwichs for lunch and splurge at night.

Sunnyboy May 25th, 2004 07:34 AM

If I recall correctly there's nothing within walking distance but you'll find a convenience store a few miles down the road from CJ where you can buy making for sandwiches. There are a couple of larger food stores in The Valley (you'll need a car or taxi) where you'll be able to pick up a larger variety of "fixins". By the way, there are plenty of places where you can have lunch at "reasonable" prices. Don't be affraid to stop in some of the roti huts and dinning places frequented by the islanders, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how economical those places can be and the food is usually always good. Just ask the concierge at CJ and they will gladly point you in the right direction.

magicone May 25th, 2004 02:17 PM

We have stayed at Cap Juluca three times and have used the R.R. package each time. We always end up adding on one extra night, so out of 8 nights, we spend 4 dining at Cap and have really enjoyed it. Last summer, we went to Pimm's twice, Kemia once and used our final dinner for the beach barbecue at Georges which is a blast anyway. Good music, all-you-can-eat grilled fish, lobster, etc.

This leaves four nights free to eat at the many other great Anguillan restaurants. Our personal favorites last time were Mangoes, Altamer and always the Malliouhana. Also, don't fail to go to Johnno's one night after dinner for some late local music.

Eat the free (inlcuded) breakfast, save $$ at lunch and indulge in dinner.

Of course, the best things about the whole island are the wonderful people and their friendliness and is free no matter where you eat. Enjoy!