Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cap Juluca (Anguilla), Little Dix Bay (Virgin Gorda) or Parrot Cay (Turks & Caicos) for MUCH needed getaway (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cap-juluca-anguilla-little-dix-bay-virgin-gorda-or-parrot-cay-turks-and-caicos-for-much-needed-getaway-419379/)

joaniejd Aug 25th, 2008 04:13 PM

Cap Juluca (Anguilla), Little Dix Bay (Virgin Gorda) or Parrot Cay (Turks & Caicos) for MUCH needed getaway

Which resort has the most BEAUTIFUL secluded beaches but also the BEST most well appointed room/resort amenities....couple that really needs to getaway could use some advice! PS (weve been going to Anguilla for years solely & part of me wants to branch out but wondering if we should or not...)

beachykeen Aug 25th, 2008 06:30 PM

I also have been going to AXA for years, thinking nothing could ever compare... Went to LDB 11/07. It was OK, but spent the whole vacation thinking "I could have been at Cap."
I thought restaurants in AXA were better, beach less crowded (chairs were close in LDB), and at least twice a day I was awakened on the beach by people asking if they could use the float(at least they asked). And the massage at the vaunted LDB spa was terrible. VG was pretty, with lush vegetation and hills.

jdc26 Aug 26th, 2008 07:37 AM

As someone who was born and raised in the BVI, I should say LDB, but as someone who's been visiting Anguilla and love, love Cap Juluca for the pass few years (sadly due to high airfares I will not visit this year), I would have to say Cap Juluca. There is just something about being on Anguilla. For me it's like time stops and I'm transported to another world (Anguilla). For some reason I'm able to forget when I'm there. Don't know if it will be the same for you, but I vote for Cap Juluca.

Good luck deciding and have a great and relaxing time!

jdc

Anguillagirl Aug 26th, 2008 10:10 AM

I couldn't agree more with the last poster. I too vote for Cap. For me there just isn't a better vacation getaway than Anguilla. It's the single most relaxing week of the year for me when I'm there. It's a special place. I'm off to my getaway in November.

caribtraveler Aug 27th, 2008 08:26 PM

I've only been to Anguilla and Turks & Caicos. I did not stay at the resorts you're considering. Anguilla's beaches are beautiful but the beaches of surrounding T&C cays are even more spectacular and definitely secluded. A boat excursion is a must-do in T&C.

PandyB Aug 29th, 2008 05:28 AM

Cap is under new management and undergoing some renovations soon, so depends when you go. I'd wait until the dust settles. I'd pick Parrot Cay this time.

WanderingTexan Sep 2nd, 2008 02:43 PM

I think LDB overall is more beautiful, but I loved the color of the sand and water at Cap Juluca. I really liked the staff at CJ too and enjoyed all the great restaurants on Anguilla. I think the rooms are about equal between LDB and CJ. I like CJ's bathrooms better. It is easier for me to get to.

I haven't been to the others.
WT

askias Sep 6th, 2008 08:58 AM

I've been to Cap and Parrot Cay, but not LDB. Of the two, Anguilla is best if you want the island experience, remember there is nothing at Parrot Cay but the resort. Anguilla also has some of the best restaurants of any island, while at Parrot Cay, you'll be stuck eating at the resort.

On the other hand, if you want seclusion above all else, there are obviously fewer people at Parrot Cay. We rarely shared the beach with more than a few couples or families. The Cap beach is beautiful, but there are more people to share it with than at Parrot Cay. Although if you rent a car, you can drive around Anguilla and find yourself many less populated beaches.

You won't be disappointed by Parrot Cay, but it's a different kind of experience. I would liken it to going to Petit St. Vincent in the Grenadines.

emcash Sep 6th, 2008 10:54 AM

according to a recent email from CAP, they intend to do all their renovations while they are closed septmeber 1 to october 31.

StanKase Sep 16th, 2008 05:42 PM

WE have not been to Cap but of the other 2 I would choose Parrot Cay though the flight from East Coast is pretty easy it took 2 hours after landing to get to resort and into our villa. But it was simply lovely if you really want only 75 or so people in a high-end relaxed expensive environment.