Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cap Julaca or Cuisinart (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cap-julaca-or-cuisinart-318632/)

CTcouple Mar 7th, 2008 11:44 AM

Cap Julaca or Cuisinart

I would be happy to hear comments/comparisons.
Thank you.

penny Mar 8th, 2008 03:56 AM

Lots of info in this forum. Do a search Cap Juluca (not julaca) Cuisinart. I will be happy to answer
specfics about CJ.

emcash Mar 8th, 2008 04:08 AM

You are going to get a variety of answers on this and many of the people who will post, like me, probably have only stayed at one or the other. People can be very loyal to the property they stayed at!

In any event, my 2 cents: I researched both places pretty thoroughly before we went to anguilla for my husband's 40th and we chose Cap. From what I found in my research, Cap just seemed more intimate, more romantic, more upscale and more unique. I also had read that the beach at Cap was one of the best on the island.

We had read some reviews on TA that the rooms at Cap were rundown. Ours was not. It was wonderful, very spacious, huge lanai and private roof deck. The service at the hotel was also excellent. Cap's pool is not that great, but with a beach like that, who needs a pool!

We visited Cuisinart to see what it was like, and on our visit there were alot of smallchildren there (this was mid/end of March, so likely spring break). The beach also wasn't quite as nice as Cap.

One last thing-- when we checked into Cap, we met a family (the 2 kids were older teens) and saw them again during our stay. They had stayed at Cuisinart the year prior and wanted to try Cap. they said there was no comparison- and that they preferred Cap. Again, just one family's opinion.

There is a great board on www.anguillaforum.com where you can find detailed reviews of most anguilla hotels and more discussions on cap v. Cuisinart. Wherever you choose, enjoy Anguilla, it is magical!

ALR Mar 8th, 2008 05:00 AM

I've stayed at both hotels more than once (CJ 11X; CA 4X) and I think emcash sums it up pretty well. Lately, though, Cuisinart's service has greatly improved. Maybe it's due to the new manager from a resort in Antigua, but I'd have to say that the service now equals the other big hotels on the island. Cap Juluca feels smaller and more personal and that makes it special. We stayed there for our 10th Anniversary the first time and have been going back for the past twelve years. I like Cuisinart when I go to the island with a girlfriend, though, because they'll set up twin beds rather than just a split-king. If you decide on Cap Juluca and need advice on room choices, you're lucky to have Penny listening because she is the expert on that.

Anguillagirl Mar 10th, 2008 12:15 PM

I agree with one of the posters that people tend to be real loyal when it comes to Cap and Cuisi. I was considering both properties when we first went five years ago, but Cuisi got the edge because I love to cook. The idea of a resort being named after a kitchen product intreged me. Turns out it was the right call. We love the resort and find it to be very intimate. We've been there five times so the staff remembers us each year by name. We found the service to be so superior there just has never been a need to try anywhere else. Cuisi rocks!

CTcouple Mar 12th, 2008 02:36 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I've become a little apprehensive about Cap Juluca after reading several trip advisor comments regtarding mosquitos in the rooms. Penny, do you have any comment about this?
Thank you.

emcash Mar 12th, 2008 04:15 AM

Mosquitos ("noseeums" as they are called on the island) are an island thing- not a Cap specific thing. One of the best things about Cap is that the rooms have these huge floor to ceiling doors that open up completely to the lanai, giving you an amazing, expanisive view of the beach and ocean. If, however, you leave these doors open at dusk and after, you might get mosquitos in the room. The staff at Cap sets up and plugs in a mosquito room repellant for you when they do turn down service (it's one of those that doesn't smell). They also leave bug spray for you if you'd like to use it. We never had a single problem with mosquitos or noseeums while in Anguilla, except one night at a restaurant. Again, it's not Cap-centric problem, but a part of island life.

Jeangail Mar 12th, 2008 05:13 AM

I am also trying to decide between both hotels (see my separate post)and the bugs are a concern for me as well. I got eaten alive during both my stays at Cuisinart but it was mainly from hanging around the beach at dusk, something I will be more careful about. It sounds like the door situation at Cap might be a big problem for me and I don't think I would chance leaving the room exposed. My husband did not have the bite problem I had, so for some people it may not be an issue no matter what.

afinecompany Mar 12th, 2008 09:05 AM

Cap was the best place I have ever stayed!

emcash Mar 12th, 2008 09:15 AM

the door situation at Cap is no different than what a balcony door would be. Close the door when it starts to turn dusk. I will say that we went out on our rooftop deck after dark and had no issues- and bugs love me. I guess what i was trying to say in my post is that the issue of bugs would likely be no different at Cap than it would be at CA.

penny Mar 12th, 2008 09:44 AM

I have never had a problem at CJ with
mosquitos ---have seen one or two
in the room--but never a problem.
The trade winds really make them
rare IMHO. In the evening I wear
Off, as all the dining we do on the island is open air.

And I agree people are very loyal
to the property they stay at--its
like going back to visit old friends.

Anguillagirl Mar 12th, 2008 10:26 AM

Jeangail-
When you got eaten alive at Cuisinart did you use mosquito milk? They see it right in the Cuisinart gift shop and it works wonders. My husband has big problems getting bitten by bugs, but once we found this stuff he was fine. He went from dozens of bites all over to just one this past November!

Jeangail Mar 12th, 2008 10:40 AM

Thanks for the tip re. mosquito milk. I only used the Off from the room and it didn't do the trick. I ended up going to the supermarket for benadryl because I was so miserable. I will definitely be more pro-active this time because it really can impact one's vacation.

I'm still flipping back and forth between CA and CJ for my upcoming visit in early June. I'm starting to lean towards CA because I've had 2 glorious stays there before so don't feel a big need to make a change. On the other hand, that gorgeous beach at Cap calls out; hence the conflict.

penny Mar 12th, 2008 11:27 AM

Hi again,
If you have had 2 glorious stays
at Cuisinart, stick with it. You
will be missing your "friends".
Thats what its all about. CJ no
matter how good it is will have you
missing Cuisi!

And yes mosquito milk gets lots
of raves from those who use it!