Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caneel Bay, what room?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caneel-bay-what-room-411644/)

cdo_24 Mar 16th, 2004 09:31 AM

Caneel Bay, what room??

We are looking at staying at Caneel Bay in June for our honeymoon and was wondering if anyone recommends a room that we should request. I want an incredible view!! Would you recommend the beach or ocean view, if either one???

Sunnyboy Mar 16th, 2004 01:58 PM

Don't worry too much about which room you get. Think about it, how much time will you actually spend looking out the window at the view. Chances are you'll spend most of the day out and about the island and it's beaches, at night the darkness obscures the view and besides you are asleep for most of that time. When you are in the room during the day you are likely to be engaged in activities where you draw the curtains for much needed privacy. You'll have plenty of fantastic views while sightseeing, having your meals and drinking cocktails at the terrace bar while watching Caribbean sunsets.

MightyIsis Mar 16th, 2004 04:04 PM

I think the rooms at Scott Bay Beach would be ideal for a honeymoon. It is a designated "child free" area of the resort. Oh, and if money is no object, go for Cottage 7

dekinjack Mar 20th, 2004 05:15 AM

i agree with sunnyboy........we stayed there before....we were in our rooms only at night.....the place is amazing

forrestg Mar 25th, 2004 02:10 PM

The rooms at Scott are nice, but we didn't think the view was outstanding. The are ground level and there are trees/vegetation giving you a somewhat obstructed view of beautiful Scott beach. For a better view, I would opt for a 2nd floor room on either Turtle or Hawksnest...some of the oceanviews are good too, just depends on which one they assign to you.

Cheers

traveldoc Apr 1st, 2004 10:34 AM

I'll side with the rec to stay on Scott Beach. We've been there numerous times and to be able to sit on your porch and watch the sunset, and then, if the sky is clear, the post-sunset colors over St Thomas, and then watch the lights of St Thomas begin to twinkle; there is simply no similar view that we have found anywhere in the Caribbean. It is definitely worth it to stay there. Cottage 7, or "the Rockefeller place" has the same view but higher above the water, with a correspondingly longer walk to the beach. The grape trees in front of the Scott rooms give some shade, and in my humble opinion, simply make a very nice frame for the view. Have fun. I envy you your first view of the place. Also, be sure to smile and speak to every employee you encounter, including the housekeeping staff and wait staff; there must be some sort of network reporting among them since it has worked wonders for us and made our visits much more pleasant and the service much efficient.