Reload this Page >

Caneel Bay Transporation from St Thomas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Debbie

Is it worth it to book Caneel Bay's transfer? What does it entail to take public transportation? I was thinking it may be worth it for us with a 2 year old, but I'm not sure it's really necessary. Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:17 AM
nancy

not sure how much it costs to do public transport... but we enjoyed the caneel bay transport. you go to their room at the baggage claim area of St. Thom. airport and they arrange for transport to the docks. The boat trip is very nice, with rum/fruit punch. We found it a very nice way to meet other people staying at Caneel. they drop you off right at Caneel beach and are waiting with cold sandlewood soaked towels. We also had a very rainy day in st. john when we were there so we used the transport to go to st. thomas on that day as well....you have unlimited trips. Basically if you take public transport it will entail getting a cab at the airport, getting a boat to st. john and then another cab in cruz bay (very easy on the last one). i felt the lack of hassle was very worth it, but i'd be curious to hear what others say.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:27 AM
penny

I agree with Nancy. The airport lounge, and ferry make it nice and easy.<BR>Also you can leave your luggage on their ferry and walk around busy Charlotte Amalie until it departs.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:29 AM
debbie

Nancy-<BR><BR>Thanks for the info. I'm with you. It seems much more enjoyable to take the caneel transport. Just wanted to make sure I had all the details.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Debbie

Penny-<BR><BR>Thanks to you too. 2 votes is plenty for me.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:34 AM
nancy

Debbie: be sure you eat a meal at Stone Terrace while you are in St. John. The food was OUT OF THIS WORLD! Actually, I should say that every meal we had in Cruz Bay was terrific, the only uninteresting one was at the Equator rest. at Caneel. have a great trip, st. john is wonderful. nancy

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:57 AM
penny

Interesting-We dined at Equator last year and the year before, not great. Although they do have high chairs and there are quite a few children, you might want to skip it. Had great meals at Paradiso, Ascolare, Cafe Wahoo, Morgans Mango, and Chloe and Bernard. We enjoyed the elegant atsmoshere and service at Turtle Bay. Love the hamburgers and Caesar Salad at the Caneel Beach BAr, especially on the upper patio! You will love St. John and the beaches at Caneel!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Debbie

Thank you two for all the information. A couple more questions. Which restaurants are the most kid friendly? My daughter eats everything so I'm not worried about menus, but I would like to know which are good casual restaurants. Also, if I only have 1 or 2 nights to go out for a grown up dinner, where would you recommend? Thanks again.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:59 PM
nancy

hey debbie... don't have any kids so not 100% sure about "kid-friendly" status, but Cruz Bay is a very mellow place so I don't think you have to worry too much. I think Morgan's Mango and Cafe Wahoo (both excellent, funky and different menus) would be fine with kids. For an adults only meal I'd say Paradiso (food was incred. but service was awful) and absolutely don't miss Stone Terrace ...it was one of the best meals my husband and I have EVER had and we always go to great restaurants. The service at ST and the food was flawless. You'll have a great time at Caneel...there were tons of families with little kids when we were there in January. Enjoy. Nancy

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Debbie

Nancy- Thanks once again. We will certainly plan on Stone Terrace. Going in 3 weeks and really looking forward to it.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:45 PM
penny

Hi Debbie-We do not have kids either, but as Nancy said most restaurants are children friendly. Morgans Mango, Cafe<BR>Wahoo, and Paradisio are fine for the whole family. Ascolare and Chloe and Bernard, a time to leave the kiddies with a sitter. We also enjoyed the "country club" elegance of the Turtle Bay House. Have never tried Stone Terrace, but I have heard good things about it. The concierge desk has menus, and might be of some help. If you snorkel you will see lots of turtles-I saw them last January and the year prior, between Paradise beach and Scott, these beaches are a kid free zone. Lots of Pelicans at Paradise too! I also spotted a HUGE iguana near the walkway from the Cottage Point stairs to the pavillon. The donkeys are interesting to-and will steal muffins etc right off your beach chairs.<BR>Have a great trip!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:01 AM
debbie

Penny-<BR>Thanks for the advice. We will definitely snorkel. My daughter will love the animals. She is still talking about an iguana she saw in florida a couple months ago. Thanks to you and nancy for all the great tips. This has been the best information I have gotten from this board.