Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caneel Bay, Little Dix Bay, Peter Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caneel-bay-little-dix-bay-peter-island-632170/)

nycgirlygirl Jul 19th, 2006 07:12 AM

Caneel Bay, Little Dix Bay, Peter Island

Has anyone been to these properties? What do you think? Looking for a hotel for our honeymoon. Thanks

BeachGirl247 Jul 19th, 2006 08:01 AM

There are lots of posts on these properties. Put the resort name into the search box and you'll get a lot of reading to answer your questions.

Have fun.

WaywardSeal Jul 19th, 2006 08:34 AM

NYCgirlygirl: Depends what you're looking for.
Seclusion-Peter Island
Getting out-Caneel

In 2004 I spent 2 weeks (honeymoon as well) between P.I.R. and Caneel- I've also been to Caneel other times.

They both have beautiful grounds; PI has two beaches Deadmans and White Bay- with decent snorkeling (excellent off White Bay if your willing to swim a bit from the right side).
Caneel boasts 7 beautiful beaches all within a short walk-most have decent snorkeling directly off the beach.

I think where they're vastly different; at Peter Island you will definitely feel the seclusion-especially at night. At Caneel you can go into Cruz bay for a nice dinner or a fun night out if you're into that sort of thing. That's not an option at Peter Island.

The service, food and room quality at Peter Island is far superior to Caneel. I think that is the only difference in terms of quality-other then that I would say they're equal in terms of favorite destinations of mine.

xkenx Jul 19th, 2006 08:37 AM

IMO Caneel Bay is one of the most romantic places on earth. No more than 24 rooms on any of the SEVEN tree-shaded white sand beaches with wade-in snorkeling. The grounds are so sprawling(170 acres), you can nearly get lost. Incredible views of sea, sky, other islands from everywhere on the property, and no development to be seen anywhere. You can sleep over the sand only a few steps from the water. St. John is great to explore, and Caneel's boat goes back and forth to St.Thomas for shopping and other sightseeing. Take a look at the video on their website, www.caneelbay.com and, as nice as it looks, it does not begin to do justice to this paradise on earth.

A_Traveller Jul 19th, 2006 09:09 AM

Three resorts, all upscale but somewhat different from each other. I've been to all three and my personal favorite is Little Dix Bay.

Peter Island is the most remote (it's a private island resort) and is excellent for those seeking solitude and who don't mind taking a boat if they want to go shopping in Road Town or to do anything "off resort". The resort offers some decent off-beach snorkeling , has excellent service, friendly staff and very good food.

Caneel Bay is located on St. John, it has 7 beautiful beaches on the property some with excellent off-beach snorkeling. The property is well maintained, the staff is accommodating (but we found them to lack the sincere friendliness of the other two resorts) and the food OK but not stellar. The resort is a short drive from the town of Cruz Bay, the St. John National Park and all of the other beaches on St. John.

Little Dix has only one beach but it typifies the quintisential Caribbean beach with calm torquoise waters, golden sand and lots of palm trees and other natural vegetation. The resort has excellent facilities, several different dining options, a very friendly and helpful staff. The resort is a short drive from town and you'll have access to some fantastice beaches throughout the island.

Regardless of which resort you choose you won't be disappointed - it's just a matter of personal perference.

As others have said, much has been written on this forum about these three resorts. Use the search feature and read away to your heart's content.

blamona Jul 19th, 2006 10:36 AM

Caneel /bay and Little Dix Bay are Rosewood properties. What that means, is you can split your time at both, and includes transfers between the 2! From St. john, you can actually day trip to Peter Island to check it out. It requires a little work, but doable. Ferry to Tortola, then taxi to ferry to Peter Island.
The beauty is Virgin Islands are pretty compact, so really at the ones you don't stay at, you can visit the others.

StanKase Jul 19th, 2006 03:08 PM

WE are hoping Biras Creek on British Virgin Gorda in Dec. will equal our experience at PI or exceed it.I found the number of buffets at PI to be excessive.

kmktex Jul 21st, 2006 11:16 AM

Depending on when you want to go on your honeymoon, Caneel Bay might be under construction. I'm going to LDB in March for my own honeymoon, and when I mentioned Caneel Bay to my travel agent she told me Caneel Bay was out of the question for March 2007 due to renovations. Just something to keep in mind:)

publisher Jul 22nd, 2006 08:19 AM

Caneel Bay is the best. Book Honeymoon Beach villas.

see:
http://www.caneelbay.com/

for other choices, lifestyle and culture see:
www.virginvoices.com