Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caneel Bay, Little Dix Bay, Biras Creek or other? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caneel-bay-little-dix-bay-biras-creek-or-other-691218/)

JarredK Mar 26th, 2007 08:13 AM

Caneel Bay, Little Dix Bay, Biras Creek or other?

Wife and I are in the early stages of planning our next getaway. We've been to many places in the Caribbean (Bahamas, Jamaica, Turks & Caicos, Cozumel, Cancun, St. Lucia, Grand Cayman, Belize, Aruba, Puerto Rico, St. Maarten) and were looking into the USVI or BVI for our latest trip. We enjoy smaller more intimate resorts and trying new places. Good diving helps, but it's not the focus of this trip.

Any info on the above resorts would be helpful? Any clear benefits of one over the other?

Thanks.

poss Mar 26th, 2007 09:18 AM

Each of those places has extensive posting on this site. Just do a search for each of the property names. As you begin to get a feel for the differences between the three (there are lots of differences and lots of similarities), you can post specific questions. There'll be lots of knowledgeable people who will be glad to help.

(We think all three are great, but have a definite preference for Caneel-- mainly because off-beach snorkeling is our highest priority and Caneel wins hands down on that score.)

poss Mar 26th, 2007 09:20 AM

Forgot to mention: Scubamom's website has a very good and very detailed "review" of each of those places.

xkenx Mar 26th, 2007 10:13 AM

Caneel is one of the most intimate, romantic places anywhere. It is so sprawled out over 170 acres and 7 beaches, you'll have areas all to yourself. It is within the National Park, so you see NO development when you look around, just incredible views of grounds, sea, sky, other islands.

StanKase Mar 26th, 2007 10:21 AM

My vote is also Caneel but it does accommodate probabably 200 guests but accommodations are spread out over 170 acres. If you choose Caneel, Hawks Nest-upper level end room would be ideal unless you are willing to pay an extra $100/night and try to get into Cottage #7 but ONLY in rooms C, D, E, and F.
A smaller resort with 100 people would be Peter Island Resort but the diving and snorkeling is better from Caneel while we think the food is better at Peter Island.A Beach Front Suite is pricy at Peter Island but is quite nice. Actually those rooms nicer than Caneel but more expensive.

owa Mar 26th, 2007 02:42 PM

We have been to Peter Island once. We have been to Caneel three times and are taking our family of 10 in August. Unless there is a really good deal at Peter Island, we won't go back. Caneel is so spread out, and the seven beaches can't be found anywhere we have been.

I have only been to Little Dix on a day trip, but again, it lacks Caneel's seven beaches. I don't know when you are going, but we go to Biras Creek in May. I'll compare after I get back. Good luck. Owa

beachplum Mar 26th, 2007 02:59 PM

Always a big fan of Caneel and Little Dix (with Little Dix the top of the two) I was astounded on a recent day when I dropped in for lunch. Not only had it lost its charm and appeal but also its itamacy

beachplum Mar 26th, 2007 03:20 PM

oppps! went back to fix the misspell and somehow it posted ... sorry ...
LDB was jammed and I was surprised to see how it had grown and changed! Absolutely loaded with kids of every age and the beach was actually crowded! I would much prefer remembering it the way it was rather than returning! The spa is wonderful but somehow shuttles and carts just doesn't fit with the Little Dix memory book - and kids with all kinds of floaty things cavorting in the pool! But then, Caneel has buses now too to circumvent the property! Agree that Hawksnest is lovely with the breezes and there is great off shore snorkelilng and always my choice. But, my visit to Biras was just delightful with it looking just as quiet and intimate and wonderful as I remember! Some of my best moments were on their beach - that no one seems to use! - and lying on a mat watching all the sea life without the hassel of putting on snorkel gear! Lovely rooms and the addition of the carts if you wish to ride instead of bike (yes, I got a ride 'cause my ole knee doesn't work so good anymore) gets you to the swimming beach which is apart from the oceanfront rooms is a plus! Also love Peter Island but didn't get to trek over there to see the improvements and changes but of the three that you list, I would definately choose Biras because of its smallness, good food and remoteness (and the accomodations are much more roomy and comfortable than at Caneel). If you wish to explore the island and go out to dine, then St. John and Caneel might be a better choice as both PIR and Biras are accessable only by boat. I found a more international mix of guests at Biras. And the BVI holds its own when it comes to snorkeling and diving - in fact, most folks enjoy a day or two from the USVI enjoying all the BVI has to offer. Despite all the changes (and growth) in the BVI, it is still pristine with much of that which is long gone from islands that have become so popular like St. John or Tortola.

poss Mar 26th, 2007 03:52 PM

My memory is that the Biras beach is poor compared to Caneel, Little Dix, Peter Island (where I've only been by sailboat). Isn't the Biras beach man-made, i.e. an "odd" sort of sand? I thought the grounds at Biras were wonderful-- especially the vistas-- but I'd not recommend it to anyone for whom great beach is a priority.

StanKase Mar 27th, 2007 04:49 AM

poss; I'd agree the Biras beaches cannot hold a candle to Caneel. Even PI is nicer, in my opinion.

lt20 Mar 27th, 2007 08:03 AM

The Biras beach is nice, agree not as good as the Caneel beaches, BUT remember, one of best things about Biras is the ability to jump in your "own" Boston Whaler and hit one of MANY deserted beaches or just anchor for a cool snorkeling spot. My sister got married at Caneel and it was awesome, but I have to say that the anniversary trip we did to Biras was one of our best trips ever. I loved the laid back feel - the open air restaurants were amazing and the food incredible. I loved riding the bikes everywhere and we went for some incredible hikes - and the open air showers were so cool. But having the freedom of the boat (with a gourmet picnic lunch) was just the coolest!! Bottom line, you WON'T be disappointed either way...! If you do Biras, the day trips are wonderful and worth it - we did Jost Van Dyke and Anegada.

beachplum Mar 27th, 2007 08:49 AM

did respond but it doesn't seem to be here ... ???
anyhow, I don't recall Brias being a man-made beach and it would surprise me given that most that are are pretty void of sealife (eg. Westin, STJ) but it is not unusual that resorts do enhance their beaches when Mother Nature has done damage. (sorta like those who add palm trees that really aren't indigenous) It wouldn't surprise me to find out LIttle Dix has done some of the same given the size of the beach now compared to years ago when I visited regularly. As I said, since I love sand and water just footsteps from the accomodations, a big drawback for me at Biras was the biking back and forth since I'm a sunrise to sunset beach person (with old knees) but I liked the option to putt about North Sound and find little private spots in the Boston Whalers. They've got little carts now - similiar to PIR when you want to head to a different spot. I did really love White Bay at PIR but again it was a trip or a hike (but picnic lunch delivered was great!) and I thought the accomdations were much nicer and roomier at Biras (eg. outdoor showers). I would love to see Biras on Deadmans beach!!!! If it's Peter Island, choose the beachfront rooms! They've closed up Turtle Bay dining at Caneel and the main dining room at PIR (Tradewinds?) and I enjoy the outdoor dining much more rather than chilly a/c.
There really isn't any "bad" spot among those you mention and you might want to add to your list Guana Island.
Or you could do, if you can't decide, the split between Caneel and Little Dix

poss Mar 27th, 2007 12:28 PM

Beachplum: Is that 2nd dining room at PI closed permanently?? And are the Biras rooms better than even the PI beachfront suites? I keep going back and forth about whether to go to PI for 4-5 days after our Virgin Gorda villa rental. We've never stayed at PI and I'm kind of interested, but only kind of.... (By the way, while some decades ago, or even 10 years ago, we would have enjoyed those Biras Boston whalers, now that we're "oldsters" we seem not to feel like bothering with that kind of thing anymore. Much appreciate the walk right into the water and wow sort of thing.)

StanKase Mar 27th, 2007 04:31 PM

Since the suites at Biras Creek have only an air conditioned bedroon the extra sitting room is not comfortable in 75-80 degree temperature with a ceiling fan that is not sufficient to make the sitting room very pleasant other than at 11 PM (we were not up) or at 6 AM (we were not up) so based on our experience the Beach Front Suites at Peter Island have it over Biras Creek in that room comparison. On the other hand the Ocean View suites at PI are not as nice as Biras Creek suites.

beachplum Mar 27th, 2007 04:38 PM

OH! didn't mean closed up as in shut down but sealed with a/c ... no open air dining other than at the Deadman's Beach Bar I've been told. I also remember that PIR had a wine tasting special dinner for a limited number of guests but we did not opt for it as it was in a closed room. BTW, think that PIR also offers a discount on AA flights. PIR is definately the spot to walk from the room right into the sand and the water!
It was on my list last week when I was on VG but didn't make it - seemed too much trouble to go to Tortola and then ferry to PIR. Thought maybe a daysail for lunch but that just didn't work out.

poss Mar 28th, 2007 04:44 AM

Stankase: Would you say that the oceanview rooms at PI are comparable to the rooms at Caneel? Or are the Caneel rooms and bathrooms better/larger? I don't need to be right on the beach (never are at Caneel-- always prefer Cottage Point because we like the views and privacy better), but I'd not be happy with accommodations that were smaller than Caneel's.
Beachplum: I agree with you-- we so much prefer open-air dining!

StanKase Mar 28th, 2007 07:40 AM

poss; The Ocean View rooms are larger overall at PI. In fact the only really 2 minor things I could say about Caneel is that the rooms are a bit small except for Cottage #7 and in the last 5-7 years the food has been uneven (but I read it is getting better). About 10-12 years ago (when RockResorts ran it) it was among the best dining in the Caribbean.
PI food is good to very good for food but just a few too many buffets for me between lunches and dinners. I kind of enjoy it for breakfast but eat too much.

beachplum Mar 29th, 2007 04:23 AM

JMO, but I would choose Caneel rather than the oceanview rooms at Peter Island. The rooms at Caneel may not be as large (depending on your location) but the OV rooms, especially the baths, are in need of an upgrade. No cross-ventelation with only a small window in the bath and the entrance door in the back. Depending on time of year, Caneel might only offer buffet at Caneel Pavillion at times but at least you have the option of heading out to eat easily.

Angler973 Apr 6th, 2007 03:06 PM

Hi JarredK,
Please read my recent post on "Problems at Caneel Bay." One the same trip we went to Little Dix Bay and loved it. It is a beautiful, smaller resort with a great beach, outstanding service and lovely accomodations. We have been all over the Caribbean, and this is our favorite.