Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caneel Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caneel-bay-196560/)

Ann Apr 9th, 2002 01:42 PM

Caneel Bay

Has any been at Caneel Bay recently? I've read on several different sites that the rooms were not very clean and the the staff was rude. Since I'm leaving in 4 weeks I'd like to get some more feedback. Thanks.

penny Apr 9th, 2002 02:55 PM

Ann I have been to Caneel several times. I would suggest if you have any problems, that you talk to the head of housekeeping. I enjoy the hotel, and I love the snorkeling and Scott Beach, but I feel the resort could have better service. We were in Cabin 7, and prior to that Scott Beach. They forgot us once for evening turn down, old wet towels from prior guests were on Paradise Beach for 2 days before I lugged them up to the room. Beach service is sporadic. One day we got beach service and the next day not! Somtimes someone is there to get extra chairs, or floats, sometimes not! Never had a problem with dirty rooms. I love Caneel, but I do feel it could be much better! This Rosewood hotel is nice, and I will return,been there 4 times, <BR>BUT for the amount of money they charge it should be alot better. Staff at Turtle Bay restaurant is wonderful, and most places in the resort. It is a very realaxing tranquill place, so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

nancy Apr 9th, 2002 03:27 PM

hi ann... my husband and i were there in january and found our room to be very clean, we had an unlimited supply of beach and shower towels. everytime we turned around there were new ones! the cleaning crew were very nice... the resort found out it was my husband's birthday and had a bottle of champagne chilled and waiting for us upon our arrival. (we didn't ask for it). as for beach service i only saw it once on scott beach (the famous Miles) and once on Caneel Beach. since we didn't really care about that it wasn't an issue. we had no neg. things to say about Caneel except that we did not like the meals...they were over priced and not very good. but cruz bay is terrific for dining so it wasn't a problem. you'll have a great trip...

e Apr 10th, 2002 06:49 PM

Ann, obviously you are not a regular on this board. Caneel is one of, or maybe the most, loved property on this forum. Worry about something else.

E Apr 11th, 2002 10:49 AM

Is this forum not for asking questions about a travel destination? Jeez!

penny Apr 11th, 2002 12:22 PM

It may be one of the most loved resorts, but their prices have gone up every year in the past 4 yrs. I enjoy the hotel but I feel Rosewood is over rated for this lovely property! I know it is the caribbean and I do accept the <BR>laid back lifestyle, but it should do a little better job living up to its reputation. I will go again, but &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;!

eileen Apr 11th, 2002 01:24 PM

I recently heard from someone whose daughter just spent her honeymoon there and she absolutely hated it! And she is in the meeting planning business so travels to hotels and resorts all the time. The service was not good, the resort was run down, the food not good. Is it possible that Caneel is resting on former laurels? I suspect there are better resorts for the price.

nancy Apr 11th, 2002 02:59 PM

as of january, our room and the parts of Caneel we went to were not run down in the slightest. maybe we were in a renovated part of the place, but no one we met there complained at all. everyone said only good things.

annie Apr 11th, 2002 04:18 PM

sorry but your daughter might think that and not sure what part of Caneel she saw but it is definintely NOT run down in any sense of the word. I just got back. Although without the glitz, marble and gold facuets it retains much elegance that the new upscale resorts lack. But then Rosewood has not done a particularly good job with their Caribbean properties. They do need a more interested manager

nancy Apr 11th, 2002 06:48 PM

i agree with annie...it's not run down in the slightest, but hardly super luxurious in a ritz carlton/four seasons way. it's a laid back resort with no phones, and visitors who like to be left alone. as far as i can tell...the folks who chose it like that (we did very much!) and don't want all the pampering but just great rooms and terrific surroundings/beaches.

Mike Apr 11th, 2002 10:22 PM

Eileen is 100% correct! As I've stated many times in the past, that so-called resort is nothing more than a cheap looking, hideous summer camp for adults. The grounds, buildings, rooms, etc. are all VERY UNIMPRESSIVE!!! Anybody who has even a modicum of good taste in this world would NEVER stay there in a million years!!!

penny Apr 12th, 2002 03:48 AM

Mike-good taste is always understated elegance! You are correct about calling it a summer camp, thats how it was described in a travel book a few years ago. The main info anyone should know is that it is not a Ritz, it is on beatiful poperty, the rooms are very low key, and they finally got a/c! The manager Brian Young is suppose to be one of the best-I guess he meets the bottom line! They encourage corporate groups, and I experienced this when about 100 top Adventis sales reps. had an award trip. The people were fine, but the hotel set up their hospitality <BR>table on the terrace near the beach bar<BR>so it was a busy area daytrippers and all. Did not need to see their activity board, etc. It would have been in better taste if they had set up a hospitality room near the pavillion!<BR>They also had The Turtle Bay House closed for their dinner. We usually go in early December, but this was mid January and high season prices!!! I felt if they want groups (and they do-check out theri website) why should I pay high season top rates!! Remember Caneel will not let men wear sandals! and will stop you from going into the dining pavillion if even wearing Bermuda shorts and a jacket!

anonymous Apr 12th, 2002 04:20 AM

I just love reviews that report things when people haven't stayed there or just heard things.

clt Apr 12th, 2002 04:26 AM

Caneel has always had its own fairly unique approach to the Caribbean resort concept, and it's not for everyone. Simplicity has always been a key theme; the air conditioning is a recent addition.<BR><BR>It's quite understandable that first-time visitors would expect much nicer rooms, based on the cost and rating of the resort. One would hope that most people (or their travel agents) would have done enough research so they know what they're getting into when they select Caneel.<BR><BR>In my opinion, the natural environment at Caneel is unbeatable - something like 170 lush acres, seven beaches, on a gorgeous island that is about two-thirds national park. To a large extent, this is what you're paying for.<BR><BR>The simplicity doesn't bother me, but the "jacket-required" formality does. I understand that Little Dix is more laid back in this respect.<BR><BR><BR>

Diane Apr 12th, 2002 11:15 PM

This November, I will be returning to Caneel Bay for my fourth stay. I have always found my room to be clean and my meals to be delicious.<BR><BR>However, what is most appealing to me is how spread out are the guest acoomodations. This makes the resort seem uncrowded and each of its seven beaches is almost becomes one's own private paradise.<BR><BR>A lot depends on each individual's priorities.