Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Caneel &St.John (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/caneel-and-st-john-72638/)

M.Gill May 18th, 2000 08:06 PM

Caneel &St.John

We are ataying at Caneel Bay for four nights(the unwinding Package). We have a fifth night to either go to the Westin ,St.John or stay at Caneel another night. What are some recommendations? Also, we are going to be in the tennis garden rooms. Are they close to the beach,nice, romantic? Should we upgrade? What are the nicest rooms?

Karen May 18th, 2000 09:05 PM

The tennis rooms are a walk to the beach at Hawksnest or you can take the shuttle to any of the other beaches. The premium rooms are at Scott's Beach. I much prefer Caneel to the Westin and can't imagine ending my stay at Caneel with a stay there (nor can I imagine ever returning to the Westin - that's how much I didn't love it!). Packing. moving, unpacking again and reorienting would take up all that wonderful beach time and since the Westin's beach pales in comparison with any on St. John, you will want to trek right back out to a beach!

Rich May 19th, 2000 02:27 AM

We were just there. <BR>Definitely would consider an upgrade on room.since it is the off season rates are a good bit lower. I would go for beachfront. Either Premium room (these are best) on Scott's beach (ask for an end room--85 or 86 were best or superior room Hawksnest or turtle bay (turtle has kids center near it but in the off season it looked pretty quiet.)Westin is much more touristy. Probably would stay at Caneel another night. <BR>have a great time.

Lara May 19th, 2000 05:08 AM

I would upgrade from tennis garden rooms. They are a haul from the beach, and that will get old real fast. <BR> <BR>IMHO Scott Beach is not the nicest beach at Caneel. I thought the best beaches were Turtle and Hawksnest. Scott is way too rocky for me and I don;t lkike having to wear shoes in the water. Go fo the beachfront rooms at Turtle or Hawksnest. There were no kids staying at Hawksnest when we were there, and I only saw one toddler at Turtle. <BR> <BR>Nicest rooms are premium rooms on Scott, Paradise, and Caneel.

Louis May 19th, 2000 04:46 PM

Regardless of the room grade at Caneel I recommend that you stay there 5 nights. Eat out the fifth night to save costs if necessary as I presume the package included meals. Eating out in Cruz Bay would give you some extra fun. I don't know the name of the rooms by location but I would pick one on the rocks at the waters edge. They tend to be isolated and are not in the top price range. It is not far to walk to any of the many beaches. Also, it will have the nicest breeze and outlook since is is a little above the water. Yes, be all means if you can afford it upgrade at least one class and stay away from the childrens area. Otherwise, I would still pick Caneel over the Westin. If you must stay there, stay there first as you will end your trip on an up note. Also is you stay at the Westin, I would eat out in the evening.

Karen May 19th, 2000 07:49 PM

Sounds to me like the poster is describing Turtle Bay rooms ... close to the Turtle Bay restaurant, my preference to Caneel Terrace or Equator, but also the location of the Kids' Club!

ezron May 19th, 2000 09:38 PM

I personally love the Westin,however I would not move from Caneel for just 1 night. Way too much hassle when you should be enjoying yourself. Rent a jeep, explore the island and you can easily check out the Westin.

Michele May 20th, 2000 05:27 AM

Thanks everyone!!!!! Your comments are very helpful!