Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cancun to Cozumel (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cancun-to-cozumel-644425/)

Kristen1206 Sep 5th, 2006 09:54 AM

Cancun to Cozumel

I also posted this on the latin American board but that board is very slow.

Can anyone tell me how big of a hassle it is to get from CUN airport to Cozumel?

The airfare to CUN is $200 less per person.
I know we'll to cathc a bus to playa, then take the ferry to Coz and then get a cab to our hotel/casa. Can you pick up a rental car at the ferry port?

Keep in mind I will have 3 kids in tow...

Thanks!

caribtraveler Sep 5th, 2006 11:07 AM

Oh my Kristen. We did that (2nd trip to Mexico) and HATED it...however, I understand that $200 x 5= a lot of money.

So my advice, with 3 kids do NOT take a bus or a shared van from the airport to the ferry dock. It is not around the corner. You will not be the first stop and you'll just be really frustated by the time you get to the dock. We did the shared van thing..and let me tell you, they waited till the van was full and then there were several stops before we even got to the dock. On top of that, vehicles are not allowed next to the dock...so you'll be let off about 3 blocks away and you'll have to walk to the dock dragging all your luggage (should I mention the heat?). If you must go this route, spend the extra money to get the van just for you guys (I'm sorry but I don't remember the cost). You can arrange for a van right at the airport. We did notice 'baggage handlers' where the van will drops off people, so you could use their services to carry all your luggage to the dock. And then, you'll likely have to wait for the ferry. I think our wait was an hour or so.

On our first trip to Mexico, we actually used www.cancunvalet.com and were 100% satisfied with them. They were there when we landed and took us straight to our hotel in Riviera Maya. We also used them to take us back to the airport. Another option...

I don't know whether you can pick up a car rental at the dock in Cozumel because we didn't look into that. I'll be surprised if there is. There are plenty of taxis (all lined up) along the main street to the dock. However, they were all small cars and I can't see 5 of you + luggage fitting in just one (3 of us barely did). I'm sure there are taxi vans available. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

2 things you should be aware of in Mexico:
1. At the Cancun airport, there's a big lobby after you go through customs and there are a bunch of guys who will try to get your attention to get you to sign up for excursions. They can be really persistent and come stand right in front of you to get you to stop walking. Not threatening at all but annoying (I don't mind someone trying to sell something but don't get in my space). Say 'no thank you' very firmly and keep walking.
2. If you decide to go into downtown Cozumel...lots of little places to eat and shops..nice to walk around at least once...same deal with the excursion guys. People always talk about Jamaican vendors but frankly in our experience, they'd get the first no thank you...in Mexico, my husband and I had to repeat ourselves a minimum of 4 times.

What month are you thinking of going?

Kristen1206 Sep 5th, 2006 12:34 PM

Thanks Caribtraveler..I was hoping you'd answer!

We are looking to go in late November/Early December.

I am now also considering staying Akumal (between Playa & Tulum). Beaches and snorkleing both look great.

tigerhawk Sep 6th, 2006 12:17 PM

We just got back from the Akumal region and I would highly recommend it over Cozumel. The resorts are a little more expensive but they are truly all inclusive, and what you will save in airfare, hassle, etc is worth it. Kids can eat anytime, no meal checks, etc. If I'm going to Coz, I try to fly right there but it isn't cheap. You can snorkel and dive all along the Mayan Riviera - it is the same reef system just across the strait from Cozumel. Look at Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal in Playacar - my parents loved it.

jiffer111 Sep 6th, 2006 09:03 PM

I would suggest you staying in Akumal. It is a great family community. You cant get some really good priced condos and hotels in that area. I find there is more to do in this area then in Cozumel. There is a web board www.locogringo.com that has some great info about that area and they also have some great rentals listed there including houses with some great prices.